Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectX
I like the fact that should I need to get into my car because i left my keys in it I can without paying a wrecker 75 bucks to unlock my door
Just don't lock your keys in the HHR if you are in an underground parking garage or you will have to call the wrecker.

No cell signal, no remote unlock signal.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:32 PM

Thumbs down Never again!

The morning I called OnStar from my truck and asked a question to which they responded "Good morning Mr. X I see you've just left your driveway" was the morning I decided never to allow "Big Brother" into my life again!

So..let's see: they know every move I make, driving habits i.e. were I live, were I travel, how long I am away etc. etc. Talk about identity theft waiting to happen. I will never own OnStar again...ever.

I think it's great for emergencies and likely has helped a great deal of people out but it's damn sure not for me. Total invasion of privacy: that is if we have any of that left in our lives today

XM radio: dig it, hands-free cell phone:all over it, OnStar: NO THANKS

Cheers
Old 04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

NO OnSTar for me. I have a Nokia N95. Who needs On Star?

Sometimes I use it anyway to chat with them though. LOL I don't even have an XM sub. I drive 14 miles a day and have a bike as well. Im just not in the car enough.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:21 PM

Jeez, I dont think OnStar is out to get anyone. I have 2 relatives that their lives were saved by having OnStar. When the airbag deployed they got called and help was sent immediately. I also have another friend that owned an H3. He was away and it was stolen. The car thieves used it to hold up 3 gas stations. OnStar had a complete record of where it was and it was returned unharmed and helped put those scumbags away. OnStar is a good thing.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Moth
The morning I called OnStar from my truck and asked a question to which they responded "Good morning Mr. X I see you've just left your driveway" was the morning I decided never to allow "Big Brother" into my life again!

So..let's see: they know every move I make, driving habits i.e. were I live, were I travel, how long I am away etc. etc. Talk about identity theft waiting to happen. I will never own OnStar again...ever.

I think it's great for emergencies and likely has helped a great deal of people out but it's damn sure not for me. Total invasion of privacy: that is if we have any of that left in our lives today

XM radio: dig it, hands-free cell phone:all over it, OnStar: NO THANKS

Cheers
They only know where you are when YOU initiate a call to OnStar. And then it is only for the duration of the call. They are not tracking you wherever you go.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Never used it on 4 of my cars. I have a cell phone and navigation and could not see spending the cash every month.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:36 AM

I got onstar free for a year with my new HHR and have only used it once to activate it so far (only had the car 1 1/2 months). I don't see myself using, I have never locked my keys in the car, I have hands free on my phone and a TomTom installed on my phone, I Pay a lot for my phone including internet and done see Onstar being a better deal?

I think in a car wreck would be the only time it would be useful but everyone stops now days and calls the 911 as soon as they see a wreck so If I was so bad off I could not call then someone would do it unless I was on a back road with no one around for miles? but I don't carry a window hammer in the car to get out in case I drive in a lake either!

someone would have to show me that the cost and benifits add up I just don't see it IMHO.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Moth

As dbfruth said, they only know where you are when you call them, or tell them to track your vehicle if it's stolen.

How do you think they help people when they call in looking for the nearest Pizza Hut/gas station/whatever?

The technology is no different than your cell phone (yes, you can be tracked on your cell phone).
Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 AM

I have OnStar and us it all the time. I switched my cell carrier to Verizon just so I ould add my HHR as a second line. The onstar is easier than a bluetooth earpiece or trying to talk to talk on speaker phone with my cell. Plus, it does provide better range, I take road trips all the time and like to know I have a "back-up" cell phone. The customer service is great too. I have used the blue star several times when idiots lights on the dash lit up. The best use of it was during a return trip from FL to NC when I had to find a hospital. I used the emergency button and told them I needed to find the nearest hospital. They gave me directions and offered to have an ambulance pick me up (I declined since I didn't want to pay for the ride and I could still drive myspelf). Plus they notified the hospital that I was coming and had the paperwork started when I walked in.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Airborne_Beachbum
I have OnStar and us it all the time. I switched my cell carrier to Verizon just so I ould add my HHR as a second line. The onstar is easier than a bluetooth earpiece or trying to talk to talk on speaker phone with my cell. Plus, it does provide better range, I take road trips all the time and like to know I have a "back-up" cell phone. The customer service is great too. I have used the blue star several times when idiots lights on the dash lit up. The best use of it was during a return trip from FL to NC when I had to find a hospital. I used the emergency button and told them I needed to find the nearest hospital. They gave me directions and offered to have an ambulance pick me up (I declined since I didn't want to pay for the ride and I could still drive myspelf). Plus they notified the hospital that I was coming and had the paperwork started when I walked in.
Glad to hear you are ok and the onstar people helped you out.
But since when can you associate an onstar receiver with a cell phone carrier? Isnt it locked to the onstar company? How did you go about doing it?

Quick Reply: ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it