Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Stereo problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM

Stereo problems

My wife and I recently bought a 2006 HHR LT. It had a 6 disk changer stereo in it but the left side of the amplifier only works intermittently.

So,… I went on line and found a replacement stereo on eBay. I ordered it and installed it in the vehicle then brought it in to the local Chevy dealer to have it programmed.

For many and various reasons they told me that the radio is not compatible with the BCM {Body Control Module} in my particular HHR. So I bought yet another radio. This second one does work but is not a six disk changer.

What my question is how can I make the first replacement radio work in my garage. Do I have to buy a BCM to make it go? I figure if I do and manage to get the correct BCM for the radio it will have to have power to it all the time or it will lose the programming, right?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 PM

If the radio powers up, but the amp doesn't turn on, your radio doesn't output a signal to turn the amp on. You will need to bypass the amp, to get sound.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:34 PM

I've kinda going thru the sorta same stuff. I have an 07 HHR, had just the basic AM/FM/CD unit, had problems with the CD so went on Ebay and bought a new 6 disc unit.
The original unit was option U1C. The replacement radio I bought was a US9 unit, so just installed it and since it was new had no issues with unit going into lock mode so worked right out of the box. I noticed that it doesn't seem to be as loud as the other. Now my car has the UW5 option for the 6 speaker, 4X door and 2X tweeters. Now if your HHR has the subwoofer, you probably have the UQ3 enhanced speaker system that will probably work properly with my unit. Problem with the GM dealers in my area is that they don't have a clue about programming a speaker change in the radio or even if its possible. They want me to spend $70.00 to see if the "radio experts" can do this, no guarantee and of course they won't give me a number to talk to these guys directly.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
My wife and I recently bought a 2006 HHR LT. It had a 6 disk changer stereo in it but the left side of the amplifier only works intermittently.

So,… I went on line and found a replacement stereo on eBay. I ordered it and installed it in the vehicle then brought it in to the local Chevy dealer to have it programmed.

For many and various reasons they told me that the radio is not compatible with the BCM {Body Control Module} in my particular HHR. So I bought yet another radio. This second one does work but is not a six disk changer.

What my question is how can I make the first replacement radio work in my garage. Do I have to buy a BCM to make it go? I figure if I do and manage to get the correct BCM for the radio it will have to have power to it all the time or it will lose the programming, right?

Not sure if you guys are seeing this part of the question......

Now about that.... I'm not a pro at this and "anything" can be done, but I don't think this one will be that easy. Besides the various levels of the head unit and that having to match the BCM to work in any given car one of the main deals with these radios is of a "theft deterrent" nature. The reason for the dealer programming is to match the radio to the VIN of the car....... without that the head unit is dead. Seeing as your garage doesn't have a VIN and it's not likely you will get someone from the dealer to bring equipment over so he can "flash" the garage...... (I know, that didn't sound good, but note I didn't say "flash IN your garage" which is a completely different issue..... Nevermind)

Anyways, even with a proper BCM and some jury rigging, I don't think you will be able to do this. At least this is my take on the system.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 AM

Other than trying to salvage the purchase of the incompatible unit, what is the benefit of doing this? Seems to be a lot more effort than it is worth. Sell the incompatible unit on eBay or Craig's list and use whatever you make to get a sound system for the garage. I have a beat-up old boombox in my garage that does the job well and it has an AUX input so I can hook up an iPod or laptop to get music from other sources.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM

The reason I wanted to use it in the garage is, I currently do not have any kind of stereo lashed up out there. I had a Clarion AM/FM/CD player out there for a while but while I was messing around with the radio in the HHR I bought a dual DIN mount kit and the proper wiring harness to put the Clarion in the dash of the HHR.

That stereo worked just fine but there were no chimes at all and my wife threw a fit that they were not working. I can see her point, sort of, I mean how would she ever know she was getting low in gasoline if the chime did not go off?

I suppose I can just lash up the Clarion in the garage again the speakers and power supply are still in place. I just thought having the newer radio out there would be nice. I already pinned together a nice little box for it to live in and all.

From the e-mail I got from Chevrolet it seems that my local dealer just did not know how to put the right VIN number code in the radio. They said any stereo from any year HHR should be able to be programmed no matter what BCM is in the vehicle.

But not even GM seems to know of anywhere that I could send the original 6 disk changer to be repaired. They suggested I look for a stereo shop locally.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 AM

I did a google search for GM car radio repair and found quite a few. Its one of those things that you will have to pick out a location to deal with. As for the other radio you want to use in the garage, I have come across some info that a leg off an eeprom is lifted from the PCB of the radio and eliminates the LOC feature.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM

I am a licensed amateur radio operator {KA9VQF} in my spare time and working on radios is something I do fairly regularly but these newer radios with the surface mount components are a little to advanced for me most of the time.

I’ve been looking online for schematics for the stereo but haven’t found anything helpful.

I did do a search for an outfit that does specialize in fixing these radios but from what I can see I would be just as well off buying a new radio from GM.

I guess no one fixes anything anymore, they just get a new one.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM

speakers

we have a 07 HHR and most of the time all you hear are the tweeters all the other speakers work when they want? Took radio out to see if there were loose wires but found none. Can anyone help us/ I would hate to bypass it?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 PM

OK, I’ve done some more research and I have found out that some HHR’s come with a separate amplifier for a subwoofer system.

My particular vehicle does not have that feature.

The only amplifier in the buggy is the one built into the radio itself.

From what I’m reading the ones with the separate amplifier are Pioneer units and mine is a Panasonic radio.

I’ve not yet had the courage to tear apart the six disk changer to see if I can obtain a replacement amplifier chip or not. But I have discovered that they are available.

I’m a little worried that by opening the case I’ll end up just bricking the radio completely.

On the other hand I really don’t have anything to lose by attempting repair. Its just a brick anyway as it sits. I would like to know if it works if I do replace the amplifier but still have no way other than doing the repair and then putting the radio back in the car and paying to have the code re-entered.

The local dealer is not much help here at all. He did say if I were to buy a BCM that will work with the radio he will code it but at the same charge as if it were in the vehicle.

That charge is whether it works or not afterward.

Quick Reply: Stereo problems