Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Stock radio question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Stock radio question

I just got an 06 HHR. The stock radio is different than what my mothers HHR has in it (it's an 06 also). Her's is the Sirus ready one. They look the same, but I'm assuming it's two different models.
Is that the only difference between the two? The one in mine sounds horrible. Trying to decide if I want to upgrade to a Pioneer unit, or one of the Sirus ready stock ones used. Would the stock one in mine be the same wiring harness as the Sirus ready one?
Also, where can I get a break down of speaker sizes in an HHR if I wanted to get replacements?
Thanks for any help!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Hi. I have a Pioneer installed on mine, ready to sirius (Useless in México). There´s a aftermarket kit to keep the current Harnesses and connectors. I tried PAC brand http://www.pac-audio.com/productSear...2007&YearId=18
About the speakers, I changed the rear using 6.5".

BTW, Welcome to the site!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info and the welcome! I'm assuming there's 2 different stock radios that came in the car, since my moms is different than mine. Is that right?
I was thinking about just getting a used model of that better radio and using it for awhile, I just didn't know if the harnesses were the same.
Are they 6.5 inch speakers all the way around?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM

It's actually misleading. The only thing Pioneer is the subwoofer. The radio is panasonic. There are a few stock; standard, w/xm, and six-disc changer (I think all the 6 disc had xm).

It's the sub that makes the difference. A lot of work to add since none of the wiring is there.

The speakers are 6.5 and are crap. A simple speaker change does wonders.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
It's actually misleading. The only thing Pioneer is the subwoofer. The radio is panasonic. There are a few stock; standard, w/xm, and six-disc changer (I think all the 6 disc had xm).

It's the sub that makes the difference. A lot of work to add since none of the wiring is there.

The speakers are 6.5 and are crap. A simple speaker change does wonders.
Agree...
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 AM

Seems like your moms is the XM ready one that also plays MP3 encoded cds. It should have a CAT button on it.
It may or may not have the amplified system with subwoofer, if it does you will see the subwoofer in the side of the cargo area, and that would mean the door speakers will be a little louder because they have a lower impedance.
Yours sounds like the base system, with a clock button instead of the CAT button. No amp, XM or sub.
Also be aware that these have an anti-theft code system, so if you switch radios, you may have to get it reprogrammed by the dealer, maybe at additional cost.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM

I don't think my mom has a sub. Hers is that limited edition red one that came out in 06. So would the stock use the same harness as the XM ready one? Wondering if I could just swap them (and have it reprogrammed if need be).

I was also looking at the Pioneer 3200BT, but wondering if I would have to cut up a bezel. I'm not that good with a dremel. Any thoughts?

Or, if someone can suggest something else. GPS would be nice, but I hate to spend over $400.

Last questions, sorry for so many. Are those tweeters up on the window posts? If so, do those need to be replaced or are they decent?

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Do you have an XM satellite antenna on the rear roof? If not you will not be able to just switch the radio. You will need more parts to get XM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by lucasbuck
I don't think my mom has a sub. Hers is that limited edition red one that came out in 06. So would the stock use the same harness as the XM ready one? Wondering if I could just swap them (and have it reprogrammed if need be).

I was also looking at the Pioneer 3200BT, but wondering if I would have to cut up a bezel. I'm not that good with a dremel. Any thoughts?

Or, if someone can suggest something else. GPS would be nice, but I hate to spend over $400.

Last questions, sorry for so many. Are those tweeters up on the window posts? If so, do those need to be replaced or are they decent?

Thanks again for all the advice!
Same model as mine then. It may have xm and the sub. Not sure about the harness but I think it is the same, main difference is if you want to keep the chimes. Those are tweeters and pretty decent. Just changing the doors will improve the sound greatly.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:39 AM

I'm not worried about having XM, I just figured that radio might be a little better quality sound wise. I know the display on my moms is nicer. What do the chimes have to do with it?
I might just go with that Pioneer if I can find out how much cutting is involved.

Quick Reply: Stock radio question