Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Stock radio and smart phone question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Stock radio and smart phone question

I finally had to replace my old flip phone and upgraded to a Galaxy S model. I managed to pair the phone up to the Bluetooth system on my 2010 SS.
Here's the problem/question: I plugged the charger cord into the USB port on the radio to charge up the phone. Ten minutes into my ride to work, the radio sound cuts off and the radio readout displays "Connecting". The sound returns after a minute or so and the "Connecting" goes off. Couple minutes later it does the same scenario all over again. This happened about 3-4 times before I just unplugged the phone. I then had to turn off/on the radio to restore the sound.
Is this normal? Or is there something I need to program or reconfigure? Granted, I'm not tech savvy by any means, and this new phone is way more advanced than I am used to.
I have read the cars owner manual(didn't see anything) and looked through the phone owners manual( nothing seemed to match my issue).
So. Short of me going by the phone store for help, does anyone have any advice on this?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Good morning. Ahhh a new phone - I'm still getting used to mine as well.

I am not familiar with the newer head units with the USB and Bluetooth, but I'm thinking that you might have to go to a separate USB charger off of the cigarette lighter/power port rather than use the USB built into the head unit. The USB port may not support some of the newer phones - much like some people have reported problems with specific USB memory sticks.

Does the Bluetooth work fine without the USB connection?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

the USB port on your radio head unit may not power your phone to recharge it, just to play music thru it, you will need to charge it as whopper has stated thru USB port power adapter to power port.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the responses.
Actually it was charging. Well, it said it was, and the phone showed about
30% more charge after I unplugged it.
Bluetooth working? No calls yet in the car. I don't use the phone very much. The bluetooth worked fine with the old phone, so I'm hoping this one does also. I don't believe much in talking and driving but with my 5 speed if I do get a call, I'll need that hands free stuff.
Guess I will go to Wally world and pick up one of those USB power port adapters.
And tomorrow at work I'll ask some of the "youngsters" what they think.
Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, sounds like it was charging ok. I think the Galaxy line likes a 2.1 amp charger, so check out Wally world like you say.

And if all else fails, flag down a 12 year old kid - they'll know how it all works for sure
Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 PM

The radio was trying to connect to the memory card or the internet to find music to play. To the HU the phone is a hard drive or a connection to the internets (Pandora, etc.).

You probably have to find an option menu where you can choose what kind of connection the USB is supposed to make.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Yeah, sounds like it was charging ok. I think the Galaxy line likes a 2.1 amp charger, so check out Wally world like you say.
Yea I learned the slow way (after returning two as defective) that many gas station 12v to USB counter display convertors do not have the current for a Samsung Android. As suspected by George, most Walmarts have the three in one USB adapters for about $7.99 that'll do the job.