Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Is this true?

I made an appointment to have my stock speakers replaced with some Alpines. After I got there, the salesman recommended an amp. Then he told me the whole car would have to be rewired. I said forget the amp just replace the speakers and use dynamat. He told me the Alpines would not work with my premuim system. I don't have the sub. Just the stock deck with the 4 speakers and tweets, single cd with a PAL installed.
I wanted the Alpine SPR 17C and 17S. So was the gentleman correct or just looking to jack up the install price?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by dannobasso
I made an appointment to have my stock speakers replaced with some Alpines. After I got there, the salesman recommended an amp. Then he told me the whole car would have to be rewired. I said forget the amp just replace the speakers and use dynamat. He told me the Alpines would not work with my premuim system. I don't have the sub. Just the stock deck with the 4 speakers and tweets, single cd with a PAL installed.
I wanted the Alpine SPR 17C and 17S. So was the gentleman correct or just looking to jack up the install price?
yes and no. He IS a salesman...money motivates salemen. You do not NEED more power. The speaker upgrade will be a noticable improvement with the Dynamat and just getting better drivers. The Alpines are less sensitive than the factory POS speakers though and will not play as loud with the same power as the factory speakers will. Adding an amp is not a COMPLETE rewiring of the car. It is a basic 4ch amp installation. Parts needed are as follows....An amp(duh ), amp power wire kit of appropriate gauge to the cuurent demands of the amp(10,8,4ga...etc), two line convertors for the factory radio to RCA adaptation to retain front/rear fader control, two appropriate length RCA connectors and a "9-wire" to run from the amp back to the radio to catch all the speakers factory wires behind the radio. At my store, you will pay approximately $150+ parts...amp kit is $89, sni-35s are $25 ea., RCA's are $29 ea., JL Audio 9-wire kit is $59.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Thanks Collyn.
He said the speakers would not work with the stock radio.
I wish I was closer to your shop. Anyone have a recommendation for a North Jersey car audio shop?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by collyn
Parts needed are as follows....An amp(duh ), amp power wire kit of appropriate gauge to the cuurent demands of the amp(10,8,4ga...etc), two line convertors for the factory radio to RCA adaptation to retain front/rear fader control, two appropriate length RCA connectors and a "9-wire" to run from the amp back to the radio to catch all the speakers factory wires behind the radio.

Or you could just get an amp with high volt imputs. Some amps out there have speaker ins as well as outs. As far as speaker off the fac deck. You would do well with ones that are high on the sensitivity side. Like the Infinity Kappa's and Referance lines they have a 93 dbl sensitivity rating. I think the Alpines are in the low 80's.