Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Want to add new amp & Sub - Confused?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Want to add new amp & Sub - Confused?!

So, I've deal with the stock pioneer sound system in my 2010 HHR SS for about a year now. It's not bad but as most agree it's missing the extra bass.

So, my brother gave me a 500 watt rockford fosgate amp a bunch of wires and I just need to get a sub.

I'm a mobile detailer and need all the space I can for my detailing supplies. So, I actually plan to put the sub in an enclosure behind either the drivers seat or the passenger seat on the floor. This way I do not sacrifice any storage space. I rarely have passengers.

So, I've read everything I can on here about tapping into the stock wiring for the stock amp and sub. And I'm confused...some people say you need an RCA converter, other say you can splice the factory wires.

I've installed subs and stuff before but always in older vehicles. (86 442, 88 chevy celebrity, 99 dodge ram). So, having a newer vehicle I want to ensure I don't mess anything up.

Really it comes down to do I need a RCA converter or not?! Once I got that I think I should be OK from there.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Cant help as far the RCA's go cause I have a 7 indash tv. I did a box where mine could be covered by the rear pastic piece. Here's a pic.
Name:  1acafa15.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  39.7 KB
Name:  4827e585.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  22.7 KB
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM

I like that and it work work perfectly for me since I wouldn't loose any space. The behind the seat set up isn't going to work. Just not enough room.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Rob you don't have any vibration issues when the load tray is over the speakers? That just looks like it would create a bandpass scenerio when the cover is on and would allow for vibrations.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by JPerrydore
So, I've read everything I can on here about tapping into the stock wiring for the stock amp and sub. And I'm confused...some people say you need an RCA converter, other say you can splice the factory wires.

Really it comes down to do I need a RCA converter or not?! Once I got that I think I should be OK from there.

Thanks!

Jason
I tried that method and smoke started coming out of the input side of my amp. I now just use a lineout converter. I am thinking that the amps that have been successfully used that way are ones that auto switch between hi and low level inputs. I have t-taps still on both the factory inputs and factory speaker outs and when I switched between them to feed my line out converter I get the exact same volumn from my amp. If the factoryinputs are truely low level inputs I would think that I should have different outputs from my line out converter but I do not.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 AM

Well, I used the instructions I found on how to tap into the pre-existing amp and got everything to work.

My set up doesn't look as nice as Robs does, but it's not too bad. And it added the extra bass I was looking for.

Of course now everything vibrates if I turn it up too loud....
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM

Thats Great you got it working!!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by RobSSTurbo
Thats Great you got it working!!
Is your set up an enclosed box that sits in that area?

Mine isn't, it's just the platform and supports around the outside to keep it in place.

I'm still messing with the settings to get it where I want it, but I'm thinking it that it's not hitting as hard as it should due to the box isn't technically sealed...I'm not good with this crap, so figured I should ask.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by RobSSTurbo
Cant help as far the RCA's go cause I have a 7 indash tv. I did a box where mine could be covered by the rear pastic piece. Here's a pic.

Are those subs sealed or is the box the cargo area behind the subs? How is it sealed?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by JPerrydore
Is your set up an enclosed box that sits in that area?

Mine isn't, it's just the platform and supports around the outside to keep it in place.

I'm still messing with the settings to get it where I want it, but I'm thinking it that it's not hitting as hard as it should due to the box isn't technically sealed...I'm not good with this crap, so figured I should ask.
i've been trying to find the same answer. i built my sub board yesterday. doesn't sound to great. and i was curious how to seal it as well... any info is greatly appreciated. and robss, nice hhr. looks great.

Quick Reply: Want to add new amp & Sub - Confused?!