Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Want to add new amp & Sub - Confused?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM

unless the subwoofer is designed to be free air (meaning no box required) I haven't heard one sound good
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM

Like RobSSTurbo, my sub (single 12") is mounted in the rear sump. My box is appx 1 cu ft, sealed. And the spare is still under there.
How I made mine is... I flipped the spare tire over creating as much usable space as possible. Then to keep the spare from moving, I cut the original bolt-thingie that held it in place so it was just long enough to attach the wingnut (factory hold-down).
Then, I made a flat bottom that extended all the way across the recessed trunk area (across the spare tire). Measured and cut out a hole right above the spare tire. Then I created a 'round' recessed section (picture stacked subwoofer rings with a solid bottom) that went down as low as possible in the spare tire rim. Everything so far is just the bottom (with a round recess built in).
Then I built the remainder of the box on top of that...

So I have a sealed box that descends INTO the spare tire, allowing me to mount a sub with up to a 6.76" top mounting depth. Also allows me to use the factory shelf creating a 100% stealth install. AND I can pump it at full volume without the sub hitting the shelf.

Amps are mounted elsewhere.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Putter
Like RobSSTurbo, my sub (single 12") is mounted in the rear sump. My box is appx 1 cu ft, sealed. And the spare is still under there.
How I made mine is... I flipped the spare tire over creating as much usable space as possible. Then to keep the spare from moving, I cut the original bolt-thingie that held it in place so it was just long enough to attach the wingnut (factory hold-down).
Then, I made a flat bottom that extended all the way across the recessed trunk area (across the spare tire). Measured and cut out a hole right above the spare tire. Then I created a 'round' recessed section (picture stacked subwoofer rings with a solid bottom) that went down as low as possible in the spare tire rim. Everything so far is just the bottom (with a round recess built in).
Then I built the remainder of the box on top of that...

So I have a sealed box that descends INTO the spare tire, allowing me to mount a sub with up to a 6.76" top mounting depth. Also allows me to use the factory shelf creating a 100% stealth install. AND I can pump it at full volume without the sub hitting the shelf.

Amps are mounted elsewhere.
so i either need to build a box, or get a free air amp? either way sounds pricy... lol. thanks for the info guys. should help out. when i finish mine i'll let you know what i did. i'm thinking something different then what's been mentioned...

fill you in later.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Xabier1121
so i either need to build a box, or get a free air amp? either way sounds pricy... lol. thanks for the info guys. should help out. when i finish mine i'll let you know what i did. i'm thinking something different then what's been mentioned...

fill you in later.
**assuming you meant 'free air SUB'.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM

Your going to need a "line out convertor". I installed one in mine....(can't remember what wires I spliced into). You can do a search online and find what wires though....that's what I did. Super Super Easy. The hardest part is hiding all of your wires. I have my Infinity Bass Link under my spare tire. I need all of the room in the back for my tools as well....I have a mobile paintless dent repair business....but I HAD to have some more sound.