Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Want to replace stereo w/premium system

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Want to replace stereo w/premium system

I hope this isn't a re-post, but i didn't see the question/answer while i was searching around.

I just bought a 2007 HHR, and it's got the the non-premium system. I like the look of the radio for the HHR and want to keep it. I've located another 2007 HHR radio unit and asked my local dealer about it. They said the part number had to match or it wouldn't work...so my question is how do i find out if the radio will match up with mine?

Also i'm looking into getting the pioneer factory sub for the back, just because i liked the way it hides on the side...any idea if this would work too. Both these parts are from the same 2007 HHR that i would like to replace in mine.

and lastly I miss my XM from the last car i had and wanted to get it in this one. The new radio, if it works, is XM ready and just curious what i would need to get it running.

Thanks for any of the help you guys can give =)
Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 PM

This has been discused in other threads...
XM....if you don't already have it, your not wired for it,, need the boxes that go on the rt rear wheel well....same for the sub...best bet would be to locate a stock sub box, adapt a shallow sub and add your own amp,,,the stock amp is weak as far as thump is concerned.
another radio will have to be "programmed" for your car,, they are " married" so to say, so swapping out radios without going back to the dealer is out. Youd be better off in the long run to just go completly aftermarket.....but keeping your current radio head unit.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM

I've decided to go with a Kenwood system. We've installed it on our other 2 vehicles (Chevy 2500HD and Kia Sportage) and we are very happy with it. The 5120 double-din size, touch screen, integrated Garmin navigation standard. With the bluetooth hands-free package and Sirius satellite radio added, we paid $850 installed. A good price and a great system. Sounds excellent, works very well, fits beautifully into the dash. Have to add the additional wiring harness so that everything works properly on the HHR, so that adds about $125, but necessary if you want full integration with steering wheel controls, sounds, etc.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Smile 2007 to 2008 stereo swap

I have a Sandstone 2007 LS with the base radio and really wanted to have MP3 CD capability.
What I did was find the stereo part numbers for 2007 HHRs that had the upgraded radios and searched eBay and the web for that part number.
After a month or so of searching, I finally found one from a wrecked 2008 LT.
I installed the "new" stereo, took it to a local dealer, gave them the VIN of the vehicle that the stereo was pulled from, and 20 minutes and $40 later, I had a much nicer stereo with MP3 CD capability and the stock look I wanted.
Other mods include pin striping, mud flaps, fog lights, mesh grill and steering wheel stereo controls.
Mods to come, new muffler, cold air intake, new wheels and rear leveling springs.
As an aside, only paid $30 for the "new" stereo including shipping...

Last edited by wyolincoln; 02-06-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Adding info.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 AM

you can always have some fun with fiberglass for fitting the rear sub behind the panel :)
Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by wyolincoln
What I did was find the stereo part numbers for 2007 HHRs that had the upgraded radios and searched eBay and the web for that part number.

I installed the "new" stereo, took it to a local dealer, gave them the VIN of the vehicle that the stereo was pulled from, and 20 minutes and $40 later.
good Idea, I might do that as well.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by FLBOIZ13
you can always have some fun with fiberglass for fitting the rear sub behind the panel :)
You can work with fiberglass if you want, I want no more to do with it than I have to.