Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Glad to see this thread folks.

I was wondering about this, as I have a 2008 HHR SS with the Onstar system and premium radio.

I'm hoping to get the BT solution for my HHR SS, so I can have that mixed with iLane and my Blackberry. Having tested with headsets and handsfree kits, I'm more interested in the in-car solution. That's my job these days. Testing the www.ilane.com product.

Is the 2009 setup non On-Star or On-Star coupled? I was hearing that it is de-coupled from On-Star now. The reason for it from a hardware standpoint is the microphone/speaker combo setup that comes with the On-Star system. It's just whether or not you have to link into On-Star or not to use it.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by hhrsscanuck
Glad to see this thread folks.

I was wondering about this, as I have a 2008 HHR SS with the Onstar system and premium radio.

I'm hoping to get the BT solution for my HHR SS, so I can have that mixed with iLane and my Blackberry. Having tested with headsets and handsfree kits, I'm more interested in the in-car solution. That's my job these days. Testing the www.ilane.com product.

Is the 2009 setup non On-Star or On-Star coupled? I was hearing that it is de-coupled from On-Star now. The reason for it from a hardware standpoint is the microphone/speaker combo setup that comes with the On-Star system. It's just whether or not you have to link into On-Star or not to use it.
Bluetooth is only available for '09 or newer model years (MY). It is part of the Onstar module and from my understanding, the Onstar module for 09 can't be swapped with earlier MY.

Best bet is to get an aftermarket bluetooth setup and integrate it with the factory radio. Or get an aftermarket radio and focus on one's that have BT integrated so it's easier to install.

Rob
Old 08-07-2009, 12:25 AM

OK, this is my last (really, really last) attempt to solve this problem. I have the 09 HHR LS (didn't come with Bluetooth), so I upgraded the radio to a 2009 SS radio with integrated OnStar. Again, no Bluetooth. So I upgraded my steering wheel to a 2008 model with audio controls, still no Bluetooth. When reading the fine print of options and code definitions, I notice that the code UPF dictates that one must have a 2009 vehicle, a NP5 steering wheel, and an OnStar radio. Well I have everything mentioned, but what if you must have a 2009 NP5 steering wheel, not the 2008 I have? The NP5 is the leather wrapped one with audio controls on the right hand side and cruise control/diagnostics on the left hand side.

I sure hate to purchase another NP5 from a 2009 to test this theory out. I have the 2009 OnStar, so I should have the gen8 module, the 2009 SS radio, but the 2008 NP5 leather steering wheel.

Any ideas about my theory?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 PM

If I recall correctly, Chevymanager said that there is some special wiring harness that is involved as well and can not be added aftermarket. My guess is that it runs from the front of the vehicle back to the onstar module in the back and would entail tearing apart the interior. However this is only a guess based on a recollection....
Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Founding Member

You can add anything and everything you want, but if GM won't supply the programming it will NEVER work.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...4864&page=7#64
Old 08-07-2009, 04:38 PM

OK, OK, OK, I get it! You preached this several times, over and over and over again. I just don't like the answer. Deep down, I knew it was a lost cause, but hope springs eternal with humans. On the positive side, I got a really nice radio and a cool steering wheel out of the deal, and I have a Bluetooth enabled Navigon GPS system, so I still have a hands-free kit for my iPhone. But, I still lust after the Holy Grail of the HHR's - a OEM Bluetooth.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by UncleDannie
OK, OK, OK, I get it! You preached this several times, over and over and over again. I just don't like the answer. Deep down, I knew it was a lost cause, but hope springs eternal with humans. On the positive side, I got a really nice radio and a cool steering wheel out of the deal, and I have a Bluetooth enabled Navigon GPS system, so I still have a hands-free kit for my iPhone. But, I still lust after the Holy Grail of the HHR's - a OEM Bluetooth.
Hello all, I have a 2009 HHR LT (LT2) that was purchased "used." The original owner was a Florida rental company. I have the leather wrapped steering wheel, standard cd/mp3 stereo, and the buttons for the bluetooth, but no Bluetooth capabilities (I press the button for over 2 seconds but all that it does is mute the radio) and no OnStar.

I am guessing that the rental place removed the bluetooth/OnStar for the vehicle. Is there a simple way (programming?) that I can get the bluetooth working? (I really don't care about OnStar, but if I can't have one without the other, so be it.) Is there a module I can buy? HELP!

Edit: OK, so after doing some more research and making a few calls, it appears that my vehicle definately does not have the OnStar/Bluetooth setup (nor did it ever), it only has the leather wheel with stereo mute. (Even though the buttons show the bluetooth feature, it is just a proprietary set of buttons.)

I think the only ways I can get bluetooth would be the following:

-Find someone that has a 2009 parts HHR and get the Onstar/Bluetooth items from that vehicle. (Not readily available and not 100% certain it can be done.)

-Purchase a "Lockpick" and 3rd party Bluetooth option (which allows me to pump it through the factory radio).

-Purchase a new Aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth capability as well as a steering wheel control module.

According to some experts/technicians on this board, OnStar cannot be added by a GM cert. technician as they don't offer the package. (I called GM and OnStar customer service and they both said to speak to my local Chevy dealership... but that it was unlikely that they have the ability to add it unless aftermarket.)

Last edited by WorldOfJohnboy; 08-25-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Updated info obtained.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM

Just a FYI, I called my dealer and he found out some info on my vehicle. Looks like it never had the OnStar/Bluetooth module with it and there is no GM "kit" to install it. My only option would be to find the parts/wires from someone else's equipped HHR (parts cars, etc.) and install it myself. Even then, it may require some programming, drilling, and other things that I probably don't want to do.

Bottom line: ChevyMgr's posts have been confirmed, and OnStar is out for me, and so (seemingly) is the Bluetooth and XM OEM features. Aftermarket it is!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:58 AM

Great news regarding oem bluetooth

I was looking for oem bluetooth for my caddy and ran into a post about bluetooth, and all you need is to have onstar. They have it for 06-07 HHR's that use the GMLAN-11bit module and maybe the 08 also not really sure. check out costartech com. this dosent really help uncledannie and the 09's but somebody should compare the 07 to an 09 onstar module out of curiosity. hope this helps some of us.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Thumbs up

I finally solved my Bluetooth issue.

After testing many Bluetooth kits out there, I decided on a Bury CC9040 partly because of the low footprint on the dash (three button interface) and better quality sound from the speaker. I'm using it with iLane and a Blackberry 8220 flip phone. The trio work like a charm! Mic is installed upper left corner of the windshield using the visor clip mount (better than the sticker, and I had the control panel laterally mounted on the left side of the steering wheel mid-dash.

The installer had an issue with the mute line in the car, and wound up installing a relay to accomplish the radio mute correctly.

Liquidated sale - new Bury CC9040 from Ebay - $50 + 11 shipping
Installation (3 hours) - $200

If anyone wants me to post pics, I can do that.

Quick Reply: What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?