Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Where to run wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:51 AM

Where to run wires

I am prepping my car for the eventual stereo upgrade. I want to run 3 sets of RCA cables and a wire for turning on the amp. I have already run the wires out of the the spare tire well and under the back seat. So, I need to know the best way to route it to the dashboard-in the center of the car or along the door sills. I am looking for the easy and neat-would like to avoid removing seats, etc if possible. I know lots of you have already been down this road before. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM

i went down the drivers side, there was plenty of room there.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 AM

driver's side is where my wires are located as well.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 AM

Where did you go-along the side under the molding or under the carpet? How hard was it to pop up all of the molding pieces? When you got to the front, did you go behind the pedals or up behind the dash? I know I could probably look around and figure something out, but why reinvent the wheel?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:08 PM

Hi Lee! I mounted my new sub amp in the package tray. There is a nice "slot" towards the front of the package tray near the dirver's side. I ran my RCA's and remote turn-on wire through this slot. You can then work them under the interior trim and down the side of the rear seat. Opening both driver side doors, you can remove both center door sill trim plates with a sharp pull. Now route the wires under the rear trim pieces and under the seat.

This is the only "tough" part; once under the seat, you need to fiddle with the wires to get them located to the front sill plate trim area. Once through the seat "maze," you can route them under the front sill plate trims. Once you get the wires up front, replace both sill trim plates.

Next, run the wires underneath the driver's side kick panel (where hood release is located), and then up & over the carpet so that the wires are under the carpet. Pull the wires across and then down near the edge of the carpet behind the center stack. Plug into your HU and wire your remote turn-on and you're set!

I used 16ft. RCA's and had plenty of line for the HHR.

Hope it helps!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 PM

Thanks. It certainly will. On Wed night my son has a baseball game so I will be able to work on the wiring at the field. Plenty of time, no tools or machinery or electricty needed. Then, I just have to wait for the GM interface to be designed and I will be all set. But I may try hooking up an additional amp to my own sub just to get some bass. I have an old Baxooka tube lying around gathering dust. It has high power input lines, and in conjunction with the factory sub it should improve the sound to tolerable until I can get my own head unit installed (remember I have OnStar that I dont want to lose).

I just added a small 12 v socket (m size from Radio Shack) beneath the flasher switch so I can hook up my radar detector without the long and cumbersome lighter plug.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
"Then, I just have to wait for the GM interface to be designed and I will be all set."
Some bad news on the interface front...from an email I just received from Scosche:

"Mike, it is a priority and we are working on it, but it may be SEMA ish before we finish our through testing and R&D. I’ll keep you updated. Sorry for the delays."

SEMA is at the end of October!

Looks like it still quite a ways off...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:30 PM

i ran my down the door sills, not under any carpet at all. once i got to the front i ran mine behind where the hood pop is, and ran my wires under the steering column and went in that way. there where a couple of spots to zip tie them and hold them up and out of the way.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 PM

The carpet I was referring to is the back of the underdash area - not under your feet. I tend to keep RCA wiring away from the steering column and other underdash area - too much other electrical interference that can add noise/hum to your RCA signal. Instead I like to steer clear of it and go straight in the back to the HU, but everyone has their own method...
Old 06-12-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
The carpet I was referring to is the back of the underdash area - not under your feet. I tend to keep RCA wiring away from the steering column and other underdash area - too much other electrical interference that can add noise/hum to your RCA signal. Instead I like to steer clear of it and go straight in the back to the HU, but everyone has their own method...
i normally go down the passanger side myself and run it behind the glove box, but for some reason the HHR said run down the drivers side.

Quick Reply: Where to run wires