Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

will this amp work

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 PM

will this amp work

I have a Visonic V718XD and I wanna know if that amp will be good enough for 2 12in solo baric L7's
Old 03-08-2008, 01:06 PM

The best amp would be the big Kicker amp. I think it is the 2500. The Visonik is not powerful enough.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:48 PM

does it help that the amp is set at 1 ohm. My friend had one that powered his L5's and it sounded nice. I know its not the best but hey it was free lol
Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 AM

A good way to judge if your amp is big enough is to use Ohm's Law.

P = I x E

P = Power or Watts
I = Current or Amps
E = Voltage

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

That being explained, if your Vizonic or whatever has a big badge on it that states 10,000 watts, but has a 25 amp fuse, Maybe only if lighting struck it.

P = 25A x 12V
P = 300W at 4 ohms

Dropping the impedance (ohms ) to 2, you can close to double your power
( Watts ) out put. Again ohm's law, power will double when resistance is cut in half. This is in a quality built amplifier. Some of your brands such as Boss, Cadence, Hifonics, Audiobahn, Etc are not quality built amps. The link below takes you to a pretty good q/a thread that explains this also.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...7&openfrom&1&4

In the end you truly will get what you pay for. With the digital amp era, and better quality mosfets in analog amps, you can achieve 1 ohm and 1/2 ohm stable amps but you will pay for it. I work for one of the largest 12 Volt retailers in the nation (non corporate or big box) and some of the brands I would recommend would be, Alpine, Kenwood, Memphis, Rockford, just to name a few. I would also say to go to a 12 Volt speciality store, not to a Best Buy/Circuit City, they carry rockford and alpine but they are different models than what the 12 Volt specialitys carry and are a "inferior" product to an extent.

Hope this letter (lol) helps answer your question.

Pip
Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pipshhr
A good way to judge if your amp is big enough is to use Ohm's Law.

P = I x E

P = Power or Watts
I = Current or Amps
E = Voltage

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

That being explained, if your Vizonic or whatever has a big badge on it that states 10,000 watts, but has a 25 amp fuse, Maybe only if lighting struck it.

P = 25A x 12V
P = 300W at 4 ohms

Dropping the impedance (ohms ) to 2, you can close to double your power
( Watts ) out put. Again ohm's law, power will double when resistance is cut in half. This is in a quality built amplifier. Some of your brands such as Boss, Cadence, Hifonics, Audiobahn, Etc are not quality built amps. The link below takes you to a pretty good q/a thread that explains this also.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...7&openfrom&1&4

In the end you truly will get what you pay for. With the digital amp era, and better quality mosfets in analog amps, you can achieve 1 ohm and 1/2 ohm stable amps but you will pay for it. I work for one of the largest 12 Volt retailers in the nation (non corporate or big box) and some of the brands I would recommend would be, Alpine, Kenwood, Memphis, Rockford, just to name a few. I would also say to go to a 12 Volt speciality store, not to a Best Buy/Circuit City, they carry rockford and alpine but they are different models than what the 12 Volt specialitys carry and are a "inferior" product to an extent.

Hope this letter (lol) helps answer your question.

Pip
You are forgetting one major element in your argument regarding Ohm's law: Efficiency.

Most low end, high power amps are Class D. D does not stand for digital, although the amps may use digital controllers. Rather, it's the next evolution of amp design beyond A, B, AB, and C. Class D amps are between 80 and 95 percent efficient, so whatever power in wattage is being drawn, only 5-20% will be lost to heat. However, they have an extremely low bandwidth and are only tolerable for subwoofer usage at high volume.

Most high end car amps are still Class AB amps. It's what they call a push-pull design to mantain linearity using two transistors per signal. However, the efficiency of the amp will range between 50% and 80% because of the sheer design limitations. These amps have a high bandwidth and are better used in full range systems and situations where durability and reliability are needed.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 AM

Ahhh, Very true.

Efficiency is huge when looking at amp choice. Thanks for noting that, i did not metion it. When I was speaking D=Digital I was trying to explain the efficiency in more laymen's terms. When everyone thinks of analog and digital most think 8track / dvd. I was trying to get at efficiency but did not accomplish it correctly.

Glad to see another Tron on here also
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pipshhr
Ahhh, Very true.

Efficiency is huge when looking at amp choice. Thanks for noting that, i did not metion it. When I was speaking D=Digital I was trying to explain the efficiency in more laymen's terms. When everyone thinks of analog and digital most think 8track / dvd. I was trying to get at efficiency but did not accomplish it correctly.

Glad to see another Tron on here also
Old Tron. I went to vo-tech in high school, but the extent of my experience since has been tinkering with my ham radios and guitar electronics. I did help my friends out with some nice stereo installs back in the day, but nothing like the stuff people are doing nowadays. I still can't figure out how cheap class-D amplifiers for stepper motors managed to evolve and become so-called "audiophile quality" in the last 10 years, but that's evolution I guess. Pfft.

Gimme a Les Paul plugged into a thick class-A, DC filament valve amp through a nice Marshall 1960 cab and I'll show you what "audiophile quality" really means.