Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Wireless Backup Camera Add.....Neat

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM

Wireless Backup Camera Add.....Neat

There are times when I needed to see what is in back much better than the mirrors so I decided to install a backup camera. I figured to go with wireless as I am getting too old to work at hiding the video and power cables.

I taped the power from the left backup light as per the factory and made a ground to the existing ground in the rear light area. I had to re-tap the power wire several times as it was really small and the tapper would not cut through the insulation.

For the front I ended up striping some insulation from the red switched power wire and soldering the power signal as the taps did not want to work with the receiver + wire there either.

When I went to test things, nothing happened so I checked the Pioneer manual and found the backup camera is turned off by default and once I turned it on.....bingo, a great video out the rear window of the HHR. I use a micro bullet cam instead of a license plate cam as there have been reports of them getting stolen in the San Diego are and the camera is inside the car. There are built in distance markers and they are nearly exact according to the volunteer I talked into standing behind the car.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM

I just removed my wiper motor, etc and plan on installing a rear view camera. I can't decide which one to install as there are so many out there from low prices to high. Will you tell me which one you purchased?

To me wireless is the only option. I wouldn't use taps. I use solderless 3 point connectors.

We don't worry about theft here in this place.

Boydie

Originally Posted by oldracer
There are times when I needed to see what is in back much better than the mirrors so I decided to install a backup camera. I figured to go with wireless as I am getting too old to work at hiding the video and power cables.

I taped the power from the left backup light as per the factory and made a ground to the existing ground in the rear light area. I had to re-tap the power wire several times as it was really small and the tapper would not cut through the insulation.

For the front I ended up striping some insulation from the red switched power wire and soldering the power signal as the taps did not want to work with the receiver + wire there either.

When I went to test things, nothing happened so I checked the Pioneer manual and found the backup camera is turned off by default and once I turned it on.....bingo, a great video out the rear window of the HHR. I use a micro bullet cam instead of a license plate cam as there have been reports of them getting stolen in the San Diego are and the camera is inside the car. There are built in distance markers and they are nearly exact according to the volunteer I talked into standing behind the car.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM

The camera came from these guys, through a local shop down the street from me. http://www.performance-teknique.com/ The camera was separate from the
transmitter and receiver and has a 24 foot video cable which might be handy for something else?

The camera is about 3/4 inch in diameter and has a small bracket assembled to it which is supposed to be on top. I used a pair of screws and mounted it to the cover for the third brake light. I ran the wires under the cover on the top of the rear hatch and then inside the corner cover to the taillight area. The camera had either 18 or 20 gauge wires so I soldered them. It has a DC plug at both ends so that gives you a place to do the voltage check. Inside is +, outside is ground.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Thank you.

I ordered a complete wireless rear camera unit and hope to have it by Friday so I can install it on Saturday.

Today I sprayed smoke paint on the side marker lights and on one set of brake lights. I'll be posting photos later.

I am 70 and this is my last ride unless I can find an SS I can afford.

Boydie

Originally Posted by oldracer
The camera came from these guys, through a local shop down the street from me. http://www.performance-teknique.com/ The camera was separate from the
transmitter and receiver and has a 24 foot video cable which might be handy for something else?

The camera is about 3/4 inch in diameter and has a small bracket assembled to it which is supposed to be on top. I used a pair of screws and mounted it to the cover for the third brake light. I ran the wires under the cover on the top of the rear hatch and then inside the corner cover to the taillight area. The camera had either 18 or 20 gauge wires so I soldered them. It has a DC plug at both ends so that gives you a place to do the voltage check. Inside is +, outside is ground.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM

Some things I noted:

- Both transmitter and receiver have a female plug for power (+12 vdc) and the transmitter one gets power from the backup light and on my Haynes diagram is the left side, light green wire. There was plenty of slack once the plug was pulled to get the wire attached.

- I used a separate ground both front and rear so then you can check the voltage across the plug.

- I tested the head unit with the yellow video hard wire to insure the camera did work and do a video switch. Worked fine with key on and trans in reverse.

- With my Pioneer X950BH unit I had to go into settings and turn the backup system on, by default it is disabled. Caused some initial worries until I read the manual.....

- If you are near another wireless video system, such as I have on my house, it will over ride the one in the car due to power differences. I only have backup activation but it can bet setup as an extra video input signal but I did not do that.

Good luck
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Can you post pic of your install
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 AM

This is definitely on my HHR to-do list I've always been a sucker for gadgets.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

Cool

I will photograph and post pictures on my installation. I am hoping the camera will fit in the latch with the camera lens poking out of the round opening for the wiper.

My daughter says my panel is a death trap because she can't see. But since she is female she doesn't know what the outside mirrors are for. I am afraid once I install the camera she will want to drive it all the time.

Boydie

Originally Posted by lafinests213
Can you post pic of your install
Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 AM

Nice, cheap dash cam, if you're looking for one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281074527260...84.m1423.l2649