Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 AM

I havent had my doors apart yet, nor have I ever done sound equipment on a GM vehicle, so I was unaware of the speaker plug-in design of the harness. Pretty cool that they are just "standard" plug-ins that work with aftermarket audio equipment.

thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 AM

any pics? total cost for you? and for every one else that has swapped out speakers, Should he have done the tweeters too?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 PM

Tweeters look to be a PIA and there are no direct drop in units

Like I said in previous posts...the Dynamat is the ticket!
Makes all the difference, also did the rear hatch, no more road noise or exhaust noise. I can't wait to do the entire back and add the JBL sub.

As far as pictures go, no difference from the outside and didn't take pictures. Total cost was about $200 so far with the Dynamat and speakers, I'm guessing I'll have another $150ish in the rear with the sub/Dynamat
Old 03-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Hey Vinny,

I've been following your thread and am glad to see that the Alpines worked out for you. I have four of them sitting here waiting to be installed, when time allows. I am very interested in the Dynamat you installed. Did you buy bulk sheets and do the entire door and tailgate? If so where did you get it and how hard is it to work with? Any Dynamat install tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 AM

You can buy it in sheets or rolls and it has an adhesive on it already. I have used an exacto knive (I think thats how you spell it) to cut it. It is really sticky and most of the time once applied its their. Remember measure twice cut once. I made templates out of cardboard. They say to use a roller to make sure it sticks and takes out any air pockets. i just used a round piece of wood like a rolling pin or the palm of my had and fingers to smooth it out. have fun.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 AM

On the Dynamat, don't go crazy! You don't need to coat the entire car to have it make a dramatic improvement.

I mostly just put a few strips or squares on the skin part of the panel to keep it from vibrating, also a few spots on the frame for good measure. Do behind the speakers pretty solid but to go crazy and do it all...will be one, quite expensive and two unless you're going to go into stereo competions..is overkill.

You'll see when you just add a little bit on the outside skin how dead the sound is compaired to the tinny sound of a regular panel.

You don't even have to buy true Dynamat, they make a few knock off types that most stereo shops carry and it's about a third of the price.

Good luck and the Alpines sound killer!!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Did you use an adapter bracket to mount the speakers?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Yes, the adapters come with the speakers
Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM

any body put an amp to the side speakers and tweets? did you think bout this vinny or do it?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Not yet, the Pioneer system seems to have enough to drive the front speakers other than WFO without distortion. My stereo guy tells me that with the better and higher efficiency speakers it will sound much better in the long run.

Upgrading the sub from what I understand will yield the same results, so that is the next plan.

The current set up in my CR-V is 8 speakers, JL 13 sub, JL 10 sub and three Rockford Amps...just a little too nuts for me, plus the box takes up the entire cargo area. I'm trying to do this without adding too much extra stuff. I still have a box with two Pioneer 10s and an Alpine amp if I want to get crazy.

I may see down the road if splicing an amp in for the fronts and sub will work.

Quick Reply: is it worth it?