Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics
View Poll Results: XM - Love it or leave it?
I love it and can't do without it.
53.51%
No thanks, it's not for me.
14.05%
I'm waiting for the merger to decide.
8.11%
Are you nuts? Radio should be free!!
24.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

XM - Like it or leave it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 PM

Me too, Hillsdale! I've had XM since I bought the car but only listen to it on long trips. I use the 6-CD changer and now my ipod to listen to purchased music. That way I can listened the music I know I like.

I love XM for sporting events but don't know if I want to pay another $6.95 to get it in the house, also.

I have an XM receiver in my PDA. Has anyone used one of them to listen to XM? Is an antenna needed? Is it worth adding it to my subscription.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Thumbs up I can't live without it!

My wife & I were just talking the other day about how we can't imagine not having the XM, we listen to it all the time and it is VERY NICE on long road trips...WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
If HD Radio's potential ever pickup, I think it would give Sat Radio a run for the money plus its free.
It's only free after you spend the money to buy the special receiver needed to be able to hear HD radio
Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
If you don't like repetition then you would hate Sirius. I had it for 2 years before XM. Besides being repetitious, the Sirius playlists are not very deep.
Sadly repetition is starting to set in at XM, not as bad as with Sirius, but it's slowly happening.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
It's only free after you spend the money to buy the special receiver needed to be able to hear HD radio
yup And the amount of channels available is still low even in a major metro area like San Diego!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 AM

I put a couple thousand CDs into AAC files and play them off my memory stick via my Kenwood Car Portal. This is in my Oddity. The HHR is getting that upgrade as well so we will be listening to our collection a few gigs at a time. My wife wants to download podcasts and play them as she drives. She can soon do this when the HHR is upgraded to the USB interface. Who needs an ipod or XM?

I find the XM bit rate marginal to horrible depending on the station, and coverage spotty. Too many dead spots in my little travel path and my wife's daily 100 mile trek as well
Both our cars have XM and we've let both expire. I would definitely have it if I were on the road a lot going cross country.

XM has an offer for Honda people for around $7.00/month, but we've still resisted. We are happy without it.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 AM

I'm not a fan for paying for free airwaves. When I'm on long trips, I'll use the 6 CD changer on RDM which gives me several hours of "my" music. For a break, I'll check the radio for news.

Like cable TV, too many options/choices on XM/Sirrus only to find maybe five stations worth anything. Not worth the expense..$7/month is almost 2 gallons of gas.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM

I have three XM radios and one Sirius. I absolutely can't stand to listen to all the commercials on regular radio, so it's worth the money to me and get rid of them.

TomK
Mpls, MN
Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM

i've had the XM for a week now. I liker i, and the wife loves it since she likes listening to the radio. But we'll see in 3 months from now.

The fizzling reception i posted about before, isn't making me happy. i wish it had a ton more channels. Plus i though it was commercial free? I here commercials all the time on it, on all different channels.

So we'll see how cheap they want to give it to me after 3 months. The car should come with it for a year like onstar. 3 months is a marginal amount of time to get hooked on it, but after a year you'll either hate it or love it.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM

We downgraded our dish package to keep XM, had it for 2+ years. My wife and I are together 99% of the time mostly spent in the car. We listen to basically only three stations, but not commercials, song info, and the XL block is great.

Quick Reply: XM - Like it or leave it?