Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics
View Poll Results: XM - Love it or leave it?
I love it and can't do without it.
53.51%
No thanks, it's not for me.
14.05%
I'm waiting for the merger to decide.
8.11%
Are you nuts? Radio should be free!!
24.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

XM - Like it or leave it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 PM

i setup the xm online for the first time, and it ran fine for me. on OSX.

I'm sad that Fred Ethel and Lucy are gone since i'm just learning about them from all the people on the different forums saying they're gone. This is the first i've heard of it but sounds like something i would have liked.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:09 PM

Seems XM subscribers are dealing with the brunt of the merger. On Sirius, there have been very few changes. If I want the XM stuff (like Oprah's channel and such) you have to add it to your subscription. Don't need that, so not a problem for me. Howard Stern's deal goes back to the original contract where he is exclusively Sirius for broadcasting, and was responsible for adding some massive number of new subscribers. His deal does not allow for his shows to be aired to anyone not paying, and, technically, XM subscribers are not paying for his broadcasts. Hence the additional charge. Not saying I agree with it, but that's the way the situation stands.

In many ways, I think Sirius subscribers are getting the better end of this XM/Sirius deal.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by afs9
Anyone else having trouble connecting to XM online? A friend let's me log into his account so I can listen at work--first thing I notice is my punk stations are gone (Fred, Ethel & Lucy) and the new alterna-station, 44 (used to be Fred) keeps going in and out as do all other channels I usually listen to.

@
I let my co-workers next door to use my online account the same way and they aren't having any problems today so not sure what may be up with yours. New channel line-up though--- Lucy is basically the same but called Lithium now.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 PM

For me the ipod is the way to go. No fees and I always get the tunes I like all the time.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 PM

i surprisingly have not plugged my ipod in to the car yet. This is coming from a guy who had hard wired an ipod dock that was custom formed into his center council on my last car...

for the XM it's just nice to be able to hear all kinds of different music. I have a wide range on my ipod but don't really like loading it with new music constantly. If i'm in the mood for jazz, bam there it is, and it's probably something i have not heard before 100 times on my ipod, something new that i might like. It's all about expanding my possibilities.

I also have not turned the regular radio on. Not once... I wouldn't even know what channels are what.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:22 PM

im still ol' skool and just listen to cd's 90% of the time
Old 11-13-2008, 11:15 PM

Regarding the subscription price, I am going to be hardcore on any price increase, while I have several units, and "love it" if they raise the cost at all I will not renew them, and go back to AM news and my extensive music collection. I know I am not alone.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Not gonna pay for radio! I'm a rarity here, I listen to mostly classical music and Buffalo has a non-commercial classical station that I love and support dearly! I give them way more than XM would cost but what I get in return pales in comparison to anything XM or Sirius could offer. My Ipod and 1000+ CD collection more than takes care of my trips.

Jim
Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 AM

I am also hardcore and will not accept any price increases.

While right now I will say I love it I will not accept any price increases and the reason I got the XM is because of no commercials. Now they are having a few commercials on there promoting the Led Zepplin and Bruce Springsteen stations and they have added some DJ's. I do NOT want mindless DJ chatter and stupid commecials! Shut the heck up and play good classic rock and roll!
If it gets any worse or more expensive I am done for good. Curly
Old 11-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Like it, but I am do not have it because I don't think it's worth the money.

Quick Reply: XM - Like it or leave it?