Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

XM radio activation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM

XM radio activation

I know my HHR was XM ready when I bought it, and I had heard about a free sampling recently. How does one activate the free sample? Is there a way to turn on XM on my own? or does it involve calling XM?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Deceased

I think that technically all HHR's are XM ready, but you need to see if yours is XM capable. Look for a "CAT" button on your head unit, if you have that the head unit is XM ready, but you need to see if you have the module installed. Either check your rear roof for the small XM antenna unit, or check the build tag in your glove box for the U2K option.

If you have the requisite equipment in place you should just be able to pull up the XM band and listen to channel 1 for details on the promo/preview.

But no U2K on the build tag means no XM, unless you retrofit the module/antenna/wiring harness pigtail.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

If they are still running it and you have the "XM radio".
Just turn to the XM channels and try a few. hit catogory see whats on there.

If it's just "XM ready" I have no idea what that really means
Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ
If they are still running it and you have the "XM radio".
Just turn to the XM channels and try a few. hit catogory see whats on there.

If it's just "XM ready" I have no idea what that really means
That free trial has ended but they have them often.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 PM

ok i have the cat button on my radio
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by leej49
ok i have the cat button on my radio
Welcome to the site. Since you have the cat button try hitting the Band button IIRC and see if you have xm channel 1 along with FM and AM. XM channel 1 will be a info/sampling station for XM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 AM

And right now is another free sample period. I *think* it runs until the 14th or 15th of February, so just a few days left. I've been listening to a lot of Classic Vinyl on XM26.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM

I have had it in one form or another since it came out(Sirius/XM) . Once you listen to radio w/out the blathering commercials, you will not want to return to commercial radio. If you have bluetooth, you can also play internet radio through your phone.Not the best, but sometimes better than commercial. I like "Rolling Stones Radio" from France.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Micmac
I have had it in one form or another since it came out(Sirius/XM) . Once you listen to radio w/out the blathering commercials, you will not want to return to commercial radio. If you have bluetooth, you can also play internet radio through your phone.Not the best, but sometimes better than commercial. I like "Rolling Stones Radio" from France.
When they had the last free sample time I could not find one single station to listen to. I would hope the full version has more to offer but if I couldn't find anything to listen to while it was free then why do I want to pay for the one or two I might find after I pay for the service?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Just an FYI. GM, as part of their CPO (certified pre-owned) sales support, has a deal for a free three months of XM programming. I was handed a brochure with a number to call to activate this. I wish I would have looked on the website for XM first, as everything could have been handled easily without trying to decipher a very heavy accent

Anyway, on the plus side, due to speaking with someone that English is a second language, my trial period is now 12 months.....as of now.

Try signing up for the trial online.

Quick Reply: XM radio activation