Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Xm Radio Solution for all

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:02 PM

Thumbs up Xm Radio Solution for all

ATTENTION!!! all of you HHR folks OUT THERE in HHR LAND here is the scoop for adding XM to your factory radio.#1 you must have the CAT and INFO buttons in order to add OEM XM.YOU can get the factory kit "part#17800594 xm radio" through the local Chevy dealer parts dept.They will probably tell you it is $225.00.Tell them you can get it at gmpartsdirect.com for $190.25 and ask them if they will match ,it they should do it, they did for me.If not try another dealer. This is the kit that is installed at the factory,it even gives you the facory antenna that goes in the back on the roof. I tried the GM-XMGM$ kit offered online but my OEM radio would never recognize it.I spent all day without success trying to get it to work,so i sent it back .I will be installing the factory kit on 12-08-07. This kit will be completely hidden when installed and will show up on the radio screen.This will be a pretty involved installation [mainly the antenna]. Bestbuy will do it for about $70..00.
If you can get the factory product for the same price as the after market why not go with OEM. Hope this helps everybody out.

Last edited by dfridge; 12-07-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: missed spelled word
Old 12-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Where is the stock XM unit mounted in the car? Does it come with the necessary wiring to hook it up? Will you have to have your radio reflashed at the dealer to work with the unit?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:16 PM

17800594 at P&G Chevy XM $181.13
Old 03-27-2008, 01:15 PM

To anyone that has seen this kit- specifically the antenna:
I want to pull out my aftermarket XM Roady and install the factory unit on my XM-ready premium system- but I don't want to drill into my roof. Can that factory antenna be adapted to attach a magnet to the bottom and run the primary XM wire through the "back" of the plastic antenna housing? I would mount it on the far back of the roof just in front of the hatch, run the wire and do the drilling under the hatch out of sight.

A special "thanks" to anyone who can help me!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
To anyone that has seen this kit- specifically the antenna:
I want to pull out my aftermarket XM Roady and install the factory unit on my XM-ready premium system- but I don't want to drill into my roof. Can that factory antenna be adapted to attach a magnet to the bottom and run the primary XM wire through the "back" of the plastic antenna housing? I would mount it on the far back of the roof just in front of the hatch, run the wire and do the drilling under the hatch out of sight.

A special "thanks" to anyone who can help me!
No antenna in the kit. It uses the antenna for Onstar. You have to have option UE1 for the add-on XM kit. The antenna is the short one on the back of the roof.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
No antenna in the kit. It uses the antenna for Onstar. You have to have option UE1 for the add-on XM kit. The antenna is the short one on the back of the roof.
Hmmmm... interesting. This thread describes the installation of this kit. I was under the impression that you just have to have the CAT and INFO buttons in order to add it. When I push the CAT button, the display reads "XM Feature". Am I missing something?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Just my opinion here.....

But at this point, I wouldn't do any new installs or mods to existing XM or Sirrius equipment.

Info, I'm getting is because of the potential merge of XM into Sirrius, a new radio will need to be produced when this happens. It will cost something like $200 for some type of upgrade to offer the new broadcast.

Whatever you do now, MAY need to be redone some time after the merger.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy

But at this point, I wouldn't do any new installs or mods to existing XM or Sirrius equipment.

Info, I'm getting is because of the potential merge of XM into Sirrius, a new radio will need to be produced when this happens. It will cost something like $200 for some type of upgrade to offer the new broadcast.

Good info Snoopy!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy

Yeah, I hear you, Snoopy, but I was thinking that existing equipment would have to be supported for quite awhile. Can you imagine telling many million subscribers that they need to buy new equipment? I suspect that in order to get any new line-ups resulting from the merger (and all possible stations), you would need to upgrade but existing equipment would have to be supported. I would be fine with the stations I have now- don't need 300 stations!