Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Brake Rotor Upgrade How to (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:06 PM

for those that did these with the ones originally posted, what is the cost on it? Might think about it later. Just had everything apart to rotate and paint my calipers over the weekend.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by AJochum
This is a great "how to" on installing rotors and it was a big help to me. I would like to point out however that it is only necessary to remove one of the lower 15mm bolts from the calipers. The short bolt towards the front must come off, but not the blue bolt. It is not a part of the caliper. If I am wrong and my wheel is about to come off going down the road, someone please correct me quickly!

Also, with regards to "directional rotors" - my rotors are EBC and are drilled and slotted. They are marked "R" and "L" on the rotor. The fins inside are not angled, so apparently EBC has the belief they should be put on a special way.
I just reread this thread and saw that you already addressed what I wrote a few posts ago. Did you notice the R and L before mounting them, or did you mess up like me? And are you as irritated as I am that nothing was said in the written instructions provided by EBC?

For whatever reason, my brakes worked great for about 1500 miles, then began vibrating worse than ever. Even now, with the rotors switched to the proper side, you can feel them shaking when I apply light pressure to the brake pedal at speeds over 40 or 50 miles per hour. According to the EBC website, this is due to variation in the rotor thickness and they must be cut. They also say to replace the pads. That seems awfully expensive, since according to their website the pads take about 2000 miles to fully break in. Since they are softer than the rotors, wont the old ones wear in if I just recut the rotors?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:15 AM

Hey Lee, Did you have your EBC rotors turned. I'm going through the same rotor crap with my HHR. Thinking about a set of R1 Concept rotors when the weather warms up a bit. My wife's 08 has never had the problem with 15K miles. Good luck with your brakes!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:43 AM

Hey TkHHR, now that they have been on for 9 months, any issues with rust?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Hey TkHHR, now that they have been on for 9 months, any issues with rust?
Actually, the Zinc plating wears off of the brake surface within a few thousand miles and then just like the stock rotors they rust very quickly. They will flash over with rust while I am washing the car just like the factory rotors. The hat and outer edge of the rotors stay silver and rust free so far.

BTW: there was no R or L on my rotors and R1 Concepts said they can go on either way it does not matter. The part numbers on the boxes are the same, no left or right noted. I saved my factory rotors in the R1 boxes.

Last edited by TkHHR; 02-12-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
Actually, the Zinc plating wears off od the brake surface within a few thousand miles and then just like the stock rotors they rust very quickly. They will flash over with rust while I am washing the car just like the factory rotors. The hat and outer edge of the rotors stay silver and rust free so far.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I figured the rotor surface where it touches the pads would rust, but was curious if the "hubs", vents and outer perimeter would rust. One of my pet peeves with the stock brakes. I still can't believe they don't coat/paint them...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Good question esmarkey and great write-up and input TkHHR. I'm sold on the R1 Concept rotors. Looks like a quality piece.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Boy, I must be a lightweight on the brakes. Mine have 60,000 on them.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 PM

I love your pictures and the outcome Looks great! I have one question, how do you keep the brake dust off of your pretty wheels? I have an 08 SS five speed and no matter how light I use my brakes they are always black by the end of the week.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by morgie642
I love your pictures and the outcome Looks great! I have one question, how do you keep the brake dust off of your pretty wheels? I have an 08 SS five speed and no matter how light I use my brakes they are always black by the end of the week.
South Jersey driving

Seriously...

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Upgrade How to (56k beware)