Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Front End Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Front End Clunking

I am new to the site, having recently purchased an '06 HHR LT with 88,000 miles. It has the 17" chrome wheels and small sized performance tires. When I drive over railroad tracks (slowly), speed humps and old bumpy roadways, I hear a clanking/clunking noise from the front end. I have read where people say the struts, or intermediate shaft and bushings. How can I narrow down the problem, so that the dealership does not start charging me money to fix things that are not the actual problem. Also, if I don't fix the problem soon, does it cause any issues with wearing out other parts?
Any assistance and answering of questions is greatly appreciated.
Ken
Old 04-30-2011, 08:33 PM

The majority of the time its the front sway bar rubber bushings that cause the problem. They are less than $30 plus installation. That's the least expensive fix, if its the front stabilizer end links your looking at more money.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM

X2 on the bushings, also the end links are easy to spot when shot, just give them a tug.... there shouldn't be any slop. Moog sells an improved grease-able end link that at your mileage may be a good thing to do anyways. If it's the struts they will also be leaking, although a small amount of leakage doesn't mean they are shot.

A good independent shop may beat a dealership's pricing for this work.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Sounds like sway bar ends links, easy fix.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 PM

sway bar end links and poly eurathane sway bar bushings

Hello and welcome,

I had this clunk on our 2009 HHR, the car is under warranty but if they did it at the shop it would be the same repair all over again soon. So........I got the Moog greasable end links and poly sway bushings, it is great now.

What the guys said is correct and common to our cars.

QuickRick
Old 05-02-2011, 07:29 PM

front end and key issues

Hoping someone can give me some advice.
I have a 2006 HHR with 46,200 miles
At about 32,000 miles my key was stuck in the on position of the ignition; happened on a Friday and dealer could not help me until Monday.

They charged me $473 to change a shifter gear assembly; the warranty did not cover it. I then went out to drive my baby home and the car started and immediately shut off..with the key stuck in the on position again!

Picked it up the next day. stopped at the grocery. Key would not turn at all. Called dealer, told me to move my steering wheel up and down a couple times and it should start, it worked. They said this problem had nothing to do with the problem I just had fixed and I would have to pay another diagnoses fee to determine the problem. I am still moving my steering wheel to start my car at least every other week. A couple days later I noticed my front end started making a clunking noise at every little bump. Called the dealer, said it was just a HHR thing, nothing to worry about. I insisted they look at it, they said everything looked fine gave me an outrages quote for fixing the noise but said it would just come back.

A couple weeks ago, one year later, I almost hit a parked car when turning into a parking spot because it would not turn right, felt like something slipping in the front end. Called dealer they could not look at it for a week so I stopped at another repair place. All they could find was fluid leaking from both front struts, but they said it was probably my steering column causing all the problems I have been having.

My dealer fixed the struts; they were covered by warranty. When I picked up my car the guy said he would have to get back to me on what the dealership was going to do about the key issue. I asked to speak to his supervisor, he was gone for the day. When I got home I tried to open my back hatch to take the dogs to the lake; it won’t open! It worked the morning I dropped it off because I removed my fishing gear before I dropped it off. Called dealership they said they did nothing that could affect the back hatch, but I could stop in and they would look at it. I’m afraid to let them touch my baby again, but I want to use my warranty if possible.

Hope someone can give me some advice, Could all of these issues be related to the steering column? I love my HHR but I am fed up with my dealer. Will my warranty be good at another dealer?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 PM

The factory warranty right? If so, you can take it to any chevy dealership for service.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 PM

I purchased the warranty when I purchased the car used-not a factory warranty.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kristy
I purchased the warranty when I purchased the car used-not a factory warranty.
I am not sure then, is the warranty thru the place you bought your HHR? If its not then you should be able to take it where ever I would imagine?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM

I called warranty company. They will work with any certified GM mechanic that is willing to do the paperwork. Now I will try to find another mechanic, hopefully one that does not give me the run around.

Do you know if the key issue and clunking noise could be caused by a steering column problem? Is it safe to drive?

Quick Reply: Front End Clunking