Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

gold line leveling springs feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 AM

gold line leveling springs feedback

Hi!

I was wondering if any of you guys who bought and got them installed recently (2009 and 2010 have had problem with springs coming out when the car is lifted? and/or squeeking noise.

Thanx
Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 AM

No,
I had them in from November until this the end of last month when I installed the Goldine lowering springs. When I lifted the car, unbolted the suspension, except for the shocks which were now the only thing holding in the springs, I could not remove the springs. They were still slightly compressed. The shock was fully extended but does not extend far enough to decompress the spring.
I installed my lowering springs (which are a tad shorter and a bit of a smaller diameter coil), bolted in my shocks and still couldn't pull the spring out by hand.
I keep hearing about these "leveling springs falling out" rumors. It just can't happen under normal lifting of the car. The only way I see it happening is while driving and hitting a big bump which will compress and decompress the springs and shocks at such a rate that it "may" happen.
It's funny how you hear about the leveling springs falling out but nobody says that the lowering springs do which are shorter. It is a good idea to buy a shorter shock to compensate though becuase it would be more inline with the new springs travel. SS shocks are a tad shorter and stiffer. You can get them from GM parts direct for about $55.00 ea.
Also HHR Boutique has shocks that are not listed on the site. You have to call and ask. They are modified KYB shocks for a Honda and are modified when ordered. He doesn't have then sitting in stock. They are about $75.00 ea.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:08 PM

Regardless of the accuracy of the "rumor," I always advise the service person when I go in for a rotation that the springs on the rear have been changed. They don't laugh at me or say anything to the contrary, but have always made the notation on the work order for the tech. I feel better knowing that I have disclosed the change to the rear end of the vehicle before they start working on it.

I usually also point out that there is an after-market anti-sway bar on it, and ask that they check the torque on those bolts while it's up in the air.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:31 AM

Mine do fall out of the upper mount each time I have had it on a frame lift. The top leans toward the back and are out of the mounting hole. I have to hold them back in place when we lower the car. I think mine are some of the early ones and are still rattling after 40,000 miles.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Old 04-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Turn them upside down(small end down,keeps the spring from rubbing the cups) ....this has helped the rattle issue....also if the sping cup is not exactly on the frame right, it will cause all kinds of racket back there..mainly the left rear as its hidden by the muffler, it will apperar to be correct but its not....
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Turn them upside down(small end down,keeps the spring from rubbing the cups) ....this has helped the rattle issue....also if the sping cup is not exactly on the frame right, it will cause all kinds of racket back there..mainly the left rear as its hidden by the muffler, it will apperar to be correct but its not....
Woody-
This really doesn't address dixiesHHR GL falling out issues..Any input for that ?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks to all of you,

Since my springs were already bought, I will decide if I install them when i get them around may 25 th. If I do so, I'll keep you informed of rattling and springs falling off.