Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Goldline squeekin remedies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM

I havent heard any noises from mine at all. I also went to trim the bumpstops and the knob just came right out of the rubber pad altogether.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
did you try it the way kahuna suggested, big coils on top?
Yeah i did install them with the tighter coils on the bottom and the farther spaced to the top. Trimmed all bump stops to the recommended inch and really rides good. Still really comfortable ride(have the base suspension package). Been a couple days and still haven't heard squeekin or any thing. Have had 4 adults ride with me still good ride(there is a difference, but not bad) and been hauling around a set of tires back and forth. no squeeks, great ride. And looks good.

Goldlines don't come with instructions so is there anyway to tell whats upside down and rightside up. Factory coils are all evenly space so i couldn't judge off that. Figure try either way and its easy enough that you can flip em in an hours time if you don't like it.
:twothumbs
Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM

Okay...

As a few others have requested... here are a couple of photos I snapped while mounting my Goldline Rear Leveling Spings on my HHR in the spring of 2007.

As you see, the smaller coils closer to the bottom (ground) and the larger coils near the top since I noticed a lot of the binding problems seems to be with the larger coils intalled near the bottom.

No noise for over 1 year now... Not sure if this is the solution but seems to be working for me and the guy at the shop has been lowering cars for years and seems to know what he is doing.

Name:  PassengerSideRearLevelingSprings.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  DriverSideRearLevelingSprings.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  42.3 KB
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 PM

My car was the car that goldline used to check for the noise. When they checked my car it did not make the noise because my spring were installed like Big Kahuna's and they said they were upside down so he changed them around and still no sound but after about a year I got a little noise so I got some plastic tubing from Home Depot and split it on one side and installed it over the springs and no sound. $5.00 fix
Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by hnewagn
My car was the car that goldline used to check for the noise. When they checked my car it did not make the noise because my spring were installed like Big Kahuna's and they said they were upside down so he changed them around and still no sound but after about a year I got a little noise so I got some plastic tubing from Home Depot and split it on one side and installed it over the springs and no sound. $5.00 fix
Goldline said THIS was upside down???

But if you take a good look at the GM stock springs that come with the Chevy HHR, you will see that they look almost exactly like my aftermarket Goldline leveling springs installation method with the smaller coils closer to the bottom and the larger coils near the top...

I figured if GM designed it that way on the original setup, it should work fine by mirroring the same install on the aftermarket leveling springs...

(Stock GM HHR Springs prior to install)

Name:  StockHHRSuspensionSpring.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  45.6 KB

(Aftermarket Goldline Leveling Springs after install)

Name:  PassengerSideRearLevelingSprings.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  39.8 KB
Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 AM

Kahuna, thank's for the pictures and all the explanations. It makes sense what you are saying. Plus, a suspension expert usually knows what he is talking about.
I will be installing mine with the large coils at the top.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:39 AM

thanks 4 the pics BK, makes more sense now, I'm sure its on here many times but did you lower the whole car or level the rear only?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 PM

hmmm... must have misunderstood you Kahuna i installed mine the opposite way from yours. But still no squeeks, or nothing to noticable from the driver seat. I might have some one drive and i'll sit in back to listen, but i also have the lowering springs not the leveling springs.
here are some more pics and in this thread they are installed how i have them. In this one the stock springs look the identicle top to bottom. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-install-drop-springs-7187/

I was thinking if a squeek problem ever did occur, they sell this rubber coating stuff in a can a wal mart (where i seen it at) usualy used for putting grips on tools. i was thinking by then i would be able to see where it was rubbing and coat it at that contact point to silence it. Easy enough.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
thanks 4 the pics BK, makes more sense now, I'm sure its on here many times but did you lower the whole car or level the rear only?
I just did the rear leveling springs from Goldline... And these springs seemed to have leveled my Surf Wagon perfectly. Just the effect I was looking for to fill the wheel well gap.

Name:  Cruisetothelake.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  42.6 KB
Old 03-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by bigallis1
Kahuna, thank's for the pictures and all the explanations. It makes sense what you are saying. Plus, a suspension expert usually knows what he is talking about.
I will be installing mine with the large coils at the top.
Had a chance to install the Goldline rear springs today.
Install went smooth, no problems.
Installed them with the large coils to the top.
Also cut the bump stops.
No noticeable squeaking on the test drive.
Total time 1 hr 20min.
Like the lower look in the rear.
Will take pics whn I get a chance.
Thank's to all who provided pictures and step-by-step directions for the remove and install, it really helped me to know what to expect.

Quick Reply: Goldline squeekin remedies?