Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowered

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 07:44 AM

When I used to race I would rate all of the springs in the trailer every month. I found some brands would loose rate more than others. AFCO springs were the best, I don't know if they make springs for street applications though. I once tossed all of the Eibachs out and swore off buying them anymore because the would lose rate so fast. I'm sure we just got a bad batch. Now remember this was pretty hard on springs NC short tracks 3200 lb late model. I don't know if any of this applies to street cars?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
I'll buy that, but in the last five years or so about 25% of my lowering jobs were using springs made by one single manufacture on virtually identical cars. All of these cars are at about the same ride height and all have varying mileage with no settling problems. And to top this off, who do you think OEM contracts to manufacture their springs anyway? Not trying to be pissy but I too am speaking from many years of experience as well. Mike your a great guy no doubt, and I'll always support you, but sometimes your opinion is very biased and your mind isn't as open as it should be. -Dan
Well Dan, I'm sorry you see it that way, but on this board I am speaking regarding my personal experiences with suspension on the HHR during the past year - not any of my other 35+ years of modding my own cars.

What I have found during this time (dealing with HHR's), is truly a sad state of affairs. Companies releasing parts that lose rather than make power, parts that do not even come close to fitting the vehicle they are designed for, springs that sag, bounce, and bottom over even minor road bumps, and production suspension parts that do not come close to the advertised drop. Ask HHR DLYT and HHRNOPT what I'm talking about - they will confirm.

I could go into detail (and some others on this forum who have bought from me know what I'm speaking of), but I don't want to turn this into a product/brand bashing session. Suffice it to say that SoCalHHR's only carrys products I feel comfortable selling to my customers. We could just "move boxes" like some companies do (and we would make a lot more money), but I prefer to test each product in-house and if it doesn't perform as advertised - we don't sell it.

It all boils down to ethics, and if that makes me look narrow-minded and biased, well......so be it.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:44 PM

Group Hug

dan-d and Mike (SoCal)

I have only been a part of this forum since May, but in that time, I have come to look for both of your posts, listen and evaluate your opinions. The two of you have taken the time to answer this relative new members questions, no matter how simple or uninformed they were and I thank you for that. Please don't go down the road, so to speak, that too many other people on this forum have recently.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:57 PM

I have no problems with Dan at all. He's a great guy and very knowlegeable - especially about vehicles. I just wanted to specify why my "stance" may seem biased at times; we buy the parts, try them, and only sell what works.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:19 PM

Hey I feel the same way about Mike, he's one of the best car people I know. I think where things got off hand is where I'm talking about "Quality Built" springs which shouldn't ever settle and / or sag. Mike on the other hand has had some bad experience with springs of lesser quality. Using one of those springs may lead to other problems. I've never had any problems on springs I've installed, but I do know others have, even using so called "Quality springs". But let's face it, even Famous Amos bakes a bad batch of cookies every now and then. I've been lucky and haven't eaten any yet. Mike, my appologies to you if I offended you as that wasn't my intent. Just got a bit over zealous while speaking my mind. -Dan
Old 08-22-2006, 07:14 PM

Hows the ride with the E's
Old 08-22-2006, 07:18 PM

No offense here, Dan! A forum is all about expressing opinions (and we've done just that). I like to keep things on the civil side as often as possible - and I know you do as well.

Everything is good.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 PM

So, how the hell are you guys?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:15 PM

That's it! I'm settled on being settled This sure is settling! I think I'll settle this once and for all there it's settled!

Ng
Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 PM

how is the ride ?

Originally Posted by BIG JIM WOODMAN
So, how the hell are you guys?
I believe the question was ----- How is the ride ? and 2nd part--- how are you guys ?

Quick Reply: Lowered