Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowering with GM parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by SSguy
RaineMan-

That doesn't sound bad, but those are the earlier springs, I want the later model 08/09 SS ones.
Haha... yeah, I did too. Only one spare set of stock Turbo SS springs in the DSLSJA right now, and they're mine now.

I'll keep my eyes open for more.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Nice guy.......

I'm just looking for rears only, but would consider a set (if pricing is right).

Thanks RaineMan
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Over three years ago, I went with the Gen I Gold-Lines. For me that was a BIG mistake!! Ablsolutely NO travel on fairly good roads and carrying any load only made a bad situation worse!

A few months ago, I picked up a good deal on a set of '09 Cobalt SS/TC springs and installed them with a new (well, used, but still new in box from someone who never installed them!) Koni shocks.

Add that to the TTR rear bar, and the car handles like a dream! Good travel, slightly stiffer, yet smooth.

I couldn't be happier!!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

JoeR....

You, essentially, have the same set-up for the rear, that I'm doing. Although I have a factory "source" at Bilstein and KYB, and MAY go in that direction.

In any event, have you done anything to the front suspension, and if so, what??
Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
JoeR....

You, essentially, have the same set-up for the rear, that I'm doing. Although I have a factory "source" at Bilstein and KYB, and MAY go in that direction.

In any event, have you done anything to the front suspension, and if so, what??
Hi, Snoopy! Front suspension is also the Cobalt SS/TC springs. Koni shock there also. That required cutting off the top of the OEM strut and using their insert. Not really that bad of a job. (Measure 7 times, cut once!)

As far as Bilstein, I have their "Sport" shocks on my '87 Mercedes and love them, but to my knowledge, they have yet to offer anything for the HHR.

The KYBs, again to my knowledge, are their lower end shocks and struts.

If you have "connections"... more power to you and good luck!

My only challenge for awesome handling is to replace that nice, smooth, slippery leather for Velcro!!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Question

This has me scratching my head ?

Got an email from Fed-Ex tracking, stating my order thru Flow Chevrolet (GMPartsDirect) is being processed. I called Fed-Ex & they have 0 parts, just the go ahead to process a tracking number.

Look on GMPartsDirect site & my rear 09 'balt SS/TC springs are still on National back order.

GMPartsDirect says in email, my order was processed & expect parts any day now.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Thumbs up 08/09 'Balt SS/TC rear springs are heading this way...

OK, seems my parts are on route to me. And (of course) I was already told this by a friend here...

I now have tracking info & should have them monday. (hopefully)..

So maybe the GM 08/09 SS/TC rear springs Part# 25821162 are no longer on National back order. I paid $31. a spring.......Yea, that'll work.. Then I'll probably be painting my calipers & drums, (& thorough brake inspection) while I'm dug in there.. Then the headlights & fogs re-adjustment.

Next I think a TTR sway bar.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
For those who would like to know.......

The HHR SS rear springs will drop the car about 3/4 inch. I haven't installed the fronts yet, so I can't provide any info.

Also, the "wire" diameter is the same between the two, approximately .568 thick (measured at the middle coil). A side by side comparison of the 2LT springs and the SS reveals about a 1 1/2 inch difference in height. The coil is wound a little tighter, which probably accounts for additional stiffness.
Snoopy & For those who might like to know.......

I just measured the wire thickness of my New '09 Cobalt SS/TC rear springs (at the middle coil) & I read .567 thick on these. So, that's approx the same as the 2LT spring thickness..With an expected drop of 1 inch.. I'm glad I waited to get the Newer springs..

Install planned for this weekend, if no "Honey-dos" get in the way..
Old 10-23-2009, 02:28 AM

Question

Hello SSGuy, Just curious, I understand about the spring's wire diameter, but are there the same number of turns? If not, that would account for the extra stiffness, sort of like cutting a spring back? It could be a different metal composition as well. Best wishes and God Bless, Marc
Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 AM

For anyone else interested,there's limited stock available now at the Lansing,Mi. parts plant.That's the only location in the country that has any on hand.

Quick Reply: Lowering with GM parts