Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowering with GM parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by breeze
Went out and measured.Front 26 3/8" Rear 27 5/8" So that's what I got.
Once again I sent some pics to a couple of PPL. Wish one of you guys would put a pic on here.
Just upload the Pics to the gallery here on this site.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/index.php
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 PM

This is the picture he sent me
Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by breeze
I don't have any before pics at all. As far as the cobalt only dropping 1/2" that may be on a cobalt. A HHR has more wieght in the rear. I took measurements before an after. It was a little over an inch drop.
"Weight" is not what you want defining your ride height. If this is what's happening, you're preloading the springs beyond what they were designed for, and so they won't actually perform as they're supposed to... up to, and including, the possibility of creating dangerous suspension behavior.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 PM

Im sure thats not the case. The weight difference between the cobalt SS/SC and the HHR LS is only about 144lbs, so there shouldnt be much difference in the drop or suspension preload.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Wondering where you guys are measuring to? The bottom of the rear quarter panel?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up The results are in!

I just finished swapping the stock rear springs with 08 Cobalt SS rears, P/N 25821162. The swap is easy and gave me exactly a 1" drop. I'm hoping to be able to download all the pictures to this thread.

The springs, while standing next to each other are 1" different in height and that held true after installing them. I tried to use a crude micrometer to measure the thickness of each spring. The stock HHR springs seems very slightly thicker than the Cobalt, maybe 1/32".

I've only driven the car a short distance but already like the ride. It doesn't seem to ride so much on top of the spring, and not so bouncy, as if the HHR spring was ready for more load. The ride in general seems smoother over small bumps. And, no noises so far. I already installed TT's rear sway bar and am very happy with the combination.

OK! I've tried 3 times to upload pictures to the gallery. It gets 50% complete then stalls and times out. I don't know if the site is having problems or what. I'll keep trying. GOD I HATE COMPUTERS!! I didn't see a way to add the pictures directly to this thread, like I had intended.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Oh, got to say, I really like the color of you HHR!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM

So far I've loaded 4 pictures to the Members Gallery. Thanks for getting the first 2 into this thread. I seem to be having problems loading the picture showing the new 28" height and one of the springs side by side. The full car picture you pulled into this thread looks like the new height. Please go to the gallery and you should see a full car picture that has the original 29" height. You should be able to tell the difference. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Here are the before and after pictures altmanglen wanted to show everyone:

The first two pictures look the same, I can see the difference in the last two pictures.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Mr Vette, Thanks for helping with the pictures. I mistakenly loaded the 29" picture twice. Now I'm having a problem getting the 28" measurement to upload. The full car pictures tell the story. The first one above is with the Cobalt SS springs, the second with the stock springs. It's pretty easy to see the 1" less open space above the rear tire. I think it's most noticeable looking at the rocker panel being level now in the first picture.

Quick Reply: Lowering with GM parts