Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowering Kits - what's best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 PM

I bought GROUND FORCE kit off EBAY for 221.50 shipped, got them in 2 days and they came with the camber bolts for the front. They ride great and the sway on the interstate is gone. Can't compare them to eibach as I didn't buy those but I am very happy with my springs. Alignment came out perfect too.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by JACK-07
Yay, after 3 days of almost constant research i have finally placed my order for the gold lines. If anyone else cares, i have checked about 30 threads on here and actually tallied the responses to a favor of the Gold Line Gen3's coming out on top (50% GoldLine's, 40% Eibach and 10% misc brands (Rough Estimate)) I wanted the most drop without bags and they have it, and for the right price. seems like from all the posts that with even some added weight in the back they still don't bottom out. and as far as the clunking problem, well i will have to see what happens when i put them on. I hope this helps anyone who is looking for a comparison and doesn't feel like searching post after post. and with that in mind. in about a week or so i will too be out of the nose bleed section once again! Thanks to all who replied to these posts.
.......SO.....is it done? I also want these springs (i think), you're my guinea pig would love to see it.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM

Before and after with Goldlines. I originally thought they were gen three, but I'm not 100% sure. The part number was 1262.

Name:  Before_After.jpg
Views: 3770
Size:  78.0 KB
Old 03-08-2008, 05:00 PM

How low do you want to go?
How hard do you want your ride?

These are questions that must be answered...

Gold Lines - slammed - rough ride - alignment kit needed
Eibach Sport (for Cobalt) - way low - decent ride - alignment kit needed
Eibach Pro Kit - low - little rougher than stock - should not need alignment kit

All have trade offs, as with everthing else in life, you must choose the path that suits you (looks like you went with the Gold Lines)

Personally, mine is a daily driver and I'm shoving 20s under the wheel wells so I went with Eibach Pro (again, personal choice). Love the look of the Gold Lines but don't want the ride that goes with it.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vinny
Gold Lines - slammed - rough ride - alignment kit needed
Eibach Sport (for Cobalt) - way low - decent ride - alignment kit needed
Eibach Pro Kit - low - little rougher than stock - should not need alignment kit
That is a little exaggerated. The goldlines by no means "slam" the HHR. They are a little rougher than stock, but if you're worried about ride comfort you shouldn't be lowering your vehicle in the first place. The alignment kit isn't needed either. You should, obviously, have your vehicle aligned at a shop whenever you do suspension work though.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:17 PM

I have goldlines on mine and I think it rides better than stock. Goldlines don't slam by any means. I wish mine was a little lower. sits a little to even for me but I do like less wheel gap. I also drive mine every day. Good luck with whatever you do
Old 03-08-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by fontana motorsports
im running the sportlines (eibach) with air bags inside the rear for support when i ad weight.there low, andlevel, and dont ride terible, especially with the airbag inside the rears.
just curious where did you get the air bag from i would like to have a set for those just in case situations with more weight.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:31 PM

Ok so i just finished installing the gold lines on both cars and i am definitely satisfied... i do have that weird metal rubbing noise on the right rear, but you can hardly hear it. I took it for a test ride with 3 adults (myself included) and couldnt even tell it was lowered, and the noise went away with the car loaded. I will let you all know how the car tows my bike now that its lowered. I dont for-see any problems because there is very little tounge weight with this trailer. As far as the ride quality, i really don't notice a difference, I had a 98 S-10 with a 5/6 drop on it and it rode way worse than the HHR. I guess its all a matter of preference, and how low you want to go.

I posted some before and after pics on my post if you want to see...
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/lowering-cars-tomorrow-13647/
Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM

Just ordered the Progress coils and rear bar....not bad for 3 bills and change ( TruchShop ) ...now to find the time..(sigh)
Old 03-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
Before and after with Goldlines. I originally thought they were gen three, but I'm not 100% sure. The part number was 1262.

That is what I am looking for, looks awesome. Sorry about the dumb q's but I have not lowered my car before, most of my projects have went the total opposite direction. What is the difference between gen 1's/3's mean? Also I read on 1 of these threads someone said there is a big difference in lowering with different size wheels, right now i have stock 16's on my 06 1LT, I don't hate them, they actually are not bad looking until I can afford something better. I am looking at the gl lowering kit on the hhr boutique website, it says alignment kit recommended, whats that for? Thank for any input as I just bought my car and I cant wait to play with it.

Quick Reply: Lowering Kits - what's best?