Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowering Kits - what's best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:04 PM

The different goldline "generations" would be like engineering changes in caterpillar terms, if that helps lol. This is just what I've seen posted around here: first gen is the lowest, second left the rear too high, third was level, but a little higher than first gen. Goldline apparently never changed the part numbers for the different versions, so I'm not sure how you can tell which version you are getting. Although I assume third gen's are most prevalent.

With 16-18'' wheels there shouldn't be a problem lowering. Bigger than that and you will have to watch your tire size and the amount you lower.

As I stated earlier, I didn't use an alignment kit, but you should get an alignment at a shop. Although some people *cough*stick*cough* don't seem to think it's necessary.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 PM

i heard even with the gold lines the camber on the fronts still fits in the margin of play GM has set.
So no camber kit is nessesary.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
What is the difference between gen 1's/3's mean?
Don't know where/who started gen 3, unless whoever started it was referring to the leveling kit, but here's an illustrated version........

First gen.......

Second gen........(1LT on the left, 2LT on the right)

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
I originally thought they were gen three, but I'm not 100% sure. The part number was 1262.
This is the part number listed on the box my set came in. I had just missed out on the 1st gen. Dory is the one on the right in the second picture illustrating the 2nd gen GLs.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:37 PM

I'm not sure. I guess I could try contacting goldline to find out for sure. To me, it looks like both the HHR's in your picture are lower in the front. I've seen scaleguy's HHR in person and he has first gen, but mine is not that low, but is still level. All I know is that I'd rather have first gen.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:15 PM

Here's an interesting note...just got off the phone with a parts shop that I had ordered the Progress springs from..told me Progress never started production of said springs!!!And were not planning to! (PN 40.0435) AND..were instead subbing them out with the Cobalt springs..saying they will not sag or cause any drivability problems..but from what I've read...so ,for any Progress buyers,you have..the rest of the story!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM

I have the gold line springs....The only thing I recommend with these is dont get air born I did and bent the crap out of my front sway bar..... I recently put them on my SS and it actually does lower the SS 1.5" its sweet!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2007OrangeHHRLT1
I have the gold line springs....The only thing I recommend with these is dont get air born I did and bent the crap out of my front sway bar.....
Did they bottom out that bad? what gen did you have.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM

I dont know what gen I had......But I really got air borne and screwed up the sway bar pretty bad....I traded it in on my SS and didnt tell the dealer hahahahahahahhahah.....Ill put pics on later today of my SS
Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Don Juan
just curious where did you get the air bag from i would like to have a set for those just in case situations with more weight.
i used a kit made by AIR-LIFT i just did 2900 miles towing 1900lbs they worked perfect, no sag, no bottoming out, and a stock like ride! also gone is the sway, since i installed them with individual air lines.. i used a kit made for a early cavalier, it uses 4x4in bags .pics and part numbers to come!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 AM

been doing some searching here and there on lowering kits and ran across this old thread. Sooooo . . . whats new in lowering kits? I was set on the Goldline but its no longer available. Looking to level and lower my stock panel. I like the stock ride but stiffer is fine (that will just force me to do a good set of shocks/struts lol) I dont really care to super slam it but pulling an inch or two would be great. Mostly i want to level it, my panel seems to sit high in the rear I'm guessing because they were light haulers.

What is the thought on just swapping in stock SS springs from an HHR or Cobalt? Prices look pretty cheap on that kinda stuff but i dont mind the prices on Eibach and the like.

Quick Reply: Lowering Kits - what's best?