Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowering the SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 PM

I know a lower center of gravity will, in theory give better handling, but the ride overall would be pretty stiff, right?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:06 AM

I've got Pedders on on my B-day wish-list
Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Just keep in mind that while lowering will indeed reduce the CG and improve handling, it will stiffen up the car a lot. If you are running on pool table smooth curves or race tracks, cool. If you are in Detroit or our local streets with potholes, your wheels/tires may be in the air around corners rather than on the pavement! Real-world use of a car is different than a race track. On rough roads a car with suspension travel may beat one snubbed down tight. Look at rally cars. Of course, you may be willing to give up driveability for looks, and that's cool if you are happy. One last thing to keep in mind is the HHR's unibody. Stiff springs will pound it more, something to consider if you keep a car a long time like I do. God Bless, Marc
Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 AM

In Jersey it would never have been a thought, but here in Ohio the roads seem a lot more friendly.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sandmanse7en
I know a lower center of gravity will, in theory give better handling, but the ride overall would be pretty stiff, right?
Not necessarily, that really depends on the springs used to lower it. There are (at least) several spring options that really don't affect ride quality.

But extreme drops, do have to be tighter, just to not bottom out.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SSguy
Not necessarily, that really depends on the springs used to lower it. There are (at least) several spring options that really don't affect ride quality.

But extreme drops, do have to be tighter, just to not bottom out.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 PM

I kniw I don't own a SS but didn't GM go through a lot of track testing to get a great handling set up on the HHR. I'd find it hard to change that if all I was after was the best handling. I can understand for looks, but I plan on switching to SS oem parts when I can and I've got a lowered HHR with a rear sway bar that handles well. But a Nurenburing(?) tested suspension system has got to be better.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 PM

that is why i am going with the cobalt ss/tc springs in the rear

it will level it out to appear lower all around.

cobalt ss nurburgring 8:22
hhr ss nurburing 8:43

someone here said when hauling stuff on lowered springs, throw mid-90's cavalier airbags inside the springs.
i couldnt find them but then i didnt search too hard. i would probably throw a set in there for when i put a little weight in the trunk.

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I kniw I don't own a SS but didn't GM go through a lot of track testing to get a great handling set up on the HHR. I'd find it hard to change that if all I was after was the best handling. I can understand for looks, but I plan on switching to SS oem parts when I can and I've got a lowered HHR with a rear sway bar that handles well. But a Nurenburing(?) tested suspension system has got to be better.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stephenm
that is why i am going with the cobalt ss/tc springs in the rear

it will level it out to appear lower all around.

cobalt ss nurburgring 8:22
hhr ss nurburing 8:43

someone here said when hauling stuff on lowered springs, throw mid-90's cavalier airbags inside the springs.
i couldnt find them but then i didnt search too hard. i would probably throw a set in there for when i put a little weight in the trunk.
Non -SS owner here also.

But I do haul stuff & have the balt SS/TC rear leveling springs & I don't have any problems. No air bags needed for mine. I've hauled about 500 lbs (weighed bags), not counting 2 people, & tank of gas.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:17 AM

Yaeh GM went to Germany..... its stil a compromise, Pedders did a change over and did some very impressive "G" laps...well above a "stock" setup.Stock is ok for ok people, but if want better,lower it and get some good shocks and tires.Remember your only going 1" lowwr on the SS not the almost 2" with the Non SS cars. To see aIR under the rear you have to do some really serious agressive driving(and have a suspension thats 1 inch off the ground, and a caged car that doesn't flex). which you'll probably never see on the street, if you do I'm sure Solman will let you know about it!
So, decide what you will, but don't NOT try something because nobody else will, some really great cars were built because somebody went outside the stock box, which is a compromise between granny drivers and those who think they can drive....those who "can" drive generally improve the setup, and then laugh at everybody else when they try to keep up...................
Early 90's Cav for the air bags....if your running at night loaded the other drivers will thank you for not blinding them....
Geez... even the Vette guys know the stock handling can be better!And they have a pure breed!

Quick Reply: Lowering the SS