Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowest static drop

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Now, dropping the suspension that far, you might experience bump steer, so you should install steering rack spacers to correct that.

As you might have guessed, Turbo Tech Racing has them,

https://www.turbotechracing.com/prod...idproduct=5279
Old 06-24-2021, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Now, dropping the suspension that far, you might experience bump steer, so you should install steering rack spacers to correct that.

As you might have guessed, Turbo Tech Racing has them,

https://www.turbotechracing.com/prod...idproduct=5279
Could you explain what bump steer is? And how do steering rack spacers fix that problem? I have never worked with steering racks or lowered a car so this is all new to me.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:43 AM
Administrator

As you lower the suspension the angle of the tie rods increases, as you go over bumps, that causes a deflection in the steering or bump steer.
To offset this , you raise the steering rack a little higher from its mount , correcting the angle and eliminating the bump steer.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:03 PM

As you lower the suspension the angle of the tie rods increases, as you go over bumps, that causes a deflection in the steering or bump steer.
To offset this , you raise the steering rack a little higher from its mount , correcting the angle and eliminating the bump steer.
Got it! Thanks for the help!
Old 06-24-2021, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I experienced that issue and thought, 1 3/4 inch front and 2 inch rear wasn’t enough to worry about! The spacers helped a lot!
Old 06-24-2021, 03:23 PM

I experienced that issue and thought, 1 3/4 inch front and 2 inch rear wasn’t enough to worry about! The spacers helped a lot!
I have also heard that some vehicles need specail swaybar links when installing coilovers, did you have to do that or is it based on the brand of coilover?
Old 06-24-2021, 04:58 PM

There is NO camber of caster adjustment provided by the factory. If you lower it really far you will need to deal with camber bolts, probably custom made as the after market parts only give about a half inch adjustment.

Maybe you want it to look like a teenager lowering a Honda and throwing 200-20 X 16 tires on; all cambered out and eating tires. Some do.

In the rear the suspension only moves a couple of inches, so mostly tire size for "low rider" status. At least you don't have to worry about camber.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
There is NO camber of caster adjustment provided by the factory. If you lower it really far you will need to deal with camber bolts, probably custom made as the after market parts only give about a half inch adjustment.

Maybe you want it to look like a teenager lowering a Honda and throwing 200-20 X 16 tires on; all cambered out and eating tires. Some do.
listen if I had the time, money, and didnt live in the rust belt i would be making far worse financial decisions on my HHR, but I don't so I'm going like max 3 inches (definetly not until I buy lower profile tires when the current ones wear out). I definetly don't want to spend that much on revamping my whole suspension system with (most likely) custom parts
Old 06-24-2021, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Swaybar end links , they might be a problem, but shorter ones are available, you don’t need custom adjustable , just shorter. Maybe, see what you have when you install the coil overs
Old 06-24-2021, 08:37 PM

Swaybar end links , they might be a problem, but shorter ones are available, you don’t need custom adjustable , just shorter. Maybe, see what you have when you install the coil overs
Any recommendations for swaybarlinks? Also of I were to just cheap out and keep the factory length ones by Moog on there, what might happen? Would it shear the stud or something?

Quick Reply: Lowest static drop