Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Need some suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:54 AM

Need some suspension help

I have a clunk sound, and bad steering wheel shake when I brake. After some searching on here, and advice from some people I have decided I need to replace my Lower control arms, and possibly the sway bar links (I'll do those second if the clunk isn't the control arm bushing)

My 1st question: While searching ebay for these parts, the sellers note FE1 and FE3 type suspension. What is that, and how can I tell which one I have?

2nd, until yesterday I thought my brakes were warped. Les schwab had told me I needed to do a complete brake job. They said my disks warped because I didn't change my calipers, and when ever I change my brakes I should change my calipers. I personally have never heard of that. I have never had to change a caliper unless it was damaged in someway. But, the reason I had them look at it is because when i bought it it needed new tires in the rear, and at the time that was all I could afford. I told them put the news on the front. right after they did that the car felt like the tires were out of balance. So I took it back, and they said my tires were slightly out of balance. (Not sure how that happens, I would think new tires get balanced, but it didn't cost me anyway) So I take it down the freeway, and it still feels out of balance. I could feel it in the seat when I hit 60. So I took it back again, and they said one of my rims was bent. So I lived with it until I got my taxes and bought new wheels. But still they feel like they are not balanced. I have had them look at it twice and they have come to the conclusion it's my brakes, because I didn't do a "Complete" Brake job. If I had to point to where I think it's coming from I would say my rear passenger wheel. I just need someone to pint me in a direction that get my poor car down the road smoothly, like a car should ride.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 AM

ok, i now know what suspension I have- FE1. Still looking for any insight into my unbalanced tire feel.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Change your calipers? I think you should visit a different shop. Maybe the rotors need turning. Perhaps the rear drums need adjusting and the front brakes overheated the rotors. But this is only if the "out of balance" thing is happening when you are on the brakes. Otherwise, maybe it is a tire balancing issue?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM

ya, it happens all the time at 60 MPH or above. Like I said I don't buy the caliper issue. I believe this is a tire balance issue, or a suspension component issue, I just don't understand why it feels like it's coming mostly from the back, unless after 3 tries they just can not seem to get the tires balanced.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

If you are pretty sure it is from the rear of the car, then take a close look at your rear shocks. Blown shocks can make a vibration seem much worse.
It seems that you have tried every thing along the tire/wheel possibility. Look at the shocks closely and also their mounts for tightness. Also while under there, check the springs also.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Pretty sure changing calipers is not what you need! Had warped rotors @ 30K on my 07 LT and my mechanic turned them. Said I didn't even need pads yet. Turning resolved the wobble when braking and finally put on pads WITHOUT calipers @ 60K and turned rotors again. Brakes are good but I don't think the rotors stand up too well. I too have the "clunk" in the front suspension and currently looking for a diagnosis / fix.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

Sounds to me like warped rotors and drums that need adjusting.. I've been through this a couple times. I didn't buy the tops for rotors before, and the ones that come on it from the dealerships/assembly, are not worth anything.. My suggestion is to get the tops, and just be done with it for 50k miles.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Les Schwab - they totally ripped off the wife for a total brake job - all due to a tiny stone trapped between the dust shield and the rotor a few years back on a Ford. She sat there for a couple of hours waiting for the estimate she asked for to get rid of the intermittant squeal - then was presented with the bill for the brake job!!! We won't deal with them again.

She normally would have ripped them a new one, but had been laid off just before she headed to Les Ripyouoff and was pretty tweaked over that.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Biker Ken
Les schwab
First mistake.

If your not comfortable with turning wrenches, find a good shop you can trust.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Biker Ken
ya, it happens all the time at 60 MPH or above. Like I said I don't buy the caliper issue. I believe this is a tire balance issue, or a suspension component issue, I just don't understand why it feels like it's coming mostly from the back, unless after 3 tries they just can not seem to get the tires balanced.
All you guys talking about brakes... It happens ALL the time at speed.

If it's not a tire balance problem, check the tires for cupping (kind of scalloped edges) with your hand. It could also easily be a rear-wheel bearing that's gotten real sloppy.

A balance check should be cheap and easy. Cupping is easy to see, but the fix is probably new rear shocks, so a little more cost and effort. A wheel bearing is definitely harder to ID, and more work to do. Good luck with it - and keep your calipers. Jeez...

Quick Reply: Need some suspension help