Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Pedders springs and coil binding

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013 | 06:50 PM

Pedders springs and coil binding

I purchased a new set of Pedders springs for my HHR SS last month from TTR and ended up with the dreaded coil binding in the rear springs. I reached out to TTR and they quickly gave me the name and email of their contact at Pedders.
Once I contacted Deb and told her of my problem she asked for pictures, which I supplied.
She said that they would get a tech from Pedders AU on this and try to find a solution. Well a few days went by and I heard nothing so I reach out to Deb again. She said it could take a while so I could either wait or they would let me upgrade to a set of the Pedders extreme XA coil-overs for $500.
So I decided that this was a reasonable deal on something that normally costs around $1,200 and I accepted. So I am excited to get these bad boys on the HHR.

If you count the $300 I spent on the springs plus $500 I am still coming out with a good deal on the XA's.

So, I have a brand new set of Pedders front springs that I never got around to installing, still in the box.
Old 10-11-2013 | 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Shaggy. Glad that Deb was able to help you out. After our PM conversations, I was curious as to what you would do.
The front Pedders haven't given me any coil binding issues. Funny thing is I still have that extra set of new front Pedders. Brand new still in the boxes. Maybe I need to list them in the classifieds.
Old 10-11-2013 | 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Shaggy. Glad that Deb was able to help you out. After our PM conversations, I was curious as to what you would do.
The front Pedders haven't given me any coil binding issues. Funny thing is I still have that extra set of new front Pedders. Brand new still in the boxes. Maybe I need to list them in the classifieds.
I don't think there is any problem with the front, only the rear. And I think the problem with the rear coil binding arises strictly with on HHR, not the Cobalt.

I would list them for sale, if I were you. I will probably sell the fronts, but I guess I will put the rear springs away in storage.. Unless Pedders wants them for research, but I doubt they care enough about an out-of-production car to spend the time fixing the spring rate.
Old 10-12-2013 | 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Shaggyofwv
I don't think there is any problem with the front, only the rear. And I think the problem with the rear coil binding arises strictly with on HHR, not the Cobalt.

I would list them for sale, if I were you. I will probably sell the fronts, but I guess I will put the rear springs away in storage.. Unless Pedders wants them for research, but I doubt they care enough about an out-of-production car to spend the time fixing the spring rate.
I know a couple cobalts with binding rear pedders. I believe its just too many coils, but Im certainly no expert.
Old 10-12-2013 | 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

When Pedders swapped mine, I ask Deb if she wanted the old ones sent back.
I never got a reply back after sending a couple emails about that. In fact, I've never had any follow up correspondence from them after they sent the redesigned set of springs. Still got the old set sitting on a shelf.
Old 10-12-2013 | 09:15 PM

I never had any problems with my Pedders springs
Old 10-16-2013 | 06:03 PM

send me the bad rears so i can do the same thing u did!!
Old 10-16-2013 | 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by nicknyce
send me the bad rears so i can do the same thing u did!!
I don't think so.
Old 10-24-2013 | 08:11 PM

I don't think so.
it was a joke....