Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Plastic sounding rattle in steering column area

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024 | 03:04 PM

Plastic sounding rattle in steering column area

I've been helping my best friend fix his HHR over the past couple of years. I decided to purchase a HHR so I have an additional vehicle to install dash cameras and dash camera battery packs to review for my YouTube channel.

In mid-July, I purchased a 2007 2LT HHR. It only has 64K miles on it and it was only HHR out of the 10 I looked at that had 0 DTCs in 13 modules in the HHR. It had numerous rattles and the sunroof was non-op. I've resolved 95% of the rattles and the non-op sunroof. While checking the sunroof for leaks, I found the a six inch section of the upper driver side windshield was leaking. It appeared to be a GM/OEM windshield. I took it to a local auto glass shop and he confirmed the leak was present at that location. I had the windshield replaced. Removing the original windshield exposed the reason for the leak. There was about a six inch section of the sealant (in two spots) that never made contact with the body panel. The new windshield is leak free. I made sure the sunroof drain tubes were unclogged and functional. I adjusted the sunroof glass to make sure the outer seal was positioned correctly.

Still chasing a "plastic sounding" noise/rattle that occurs mostly when applying the brakes or while driving over bumpier roads. It appears to be coming from the steering column area under the dash. I've checked everything easily accessible with the dash panels removed around the steering column and the instrument cluster. I found numerous things that could/would make noise and I secured those things, but the main rattle noise continues.

I've had the HHR up on ramps and checked for anything loose under the car, but nothing appears to be loose (yes I checked the heat shields).

I'm happy to hear any suggestions on what to check next.
Old 09-10-2024 | 03:24 PM

to the forums!

We have a thread for noises! Link in my signature.
Old 09-10-2024 | 05:28 PM
Administrator

Does the plastic sound when you press the brake pedal or shift from park to reverse or drive?
Old 09-10-2024 | 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
to the forums!

We have a thread for noises! Link in my signature.
Thanks for the welcome to the forums. I'll take a look at the suggested thread.

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Does the plastic sound when you press the brake pedal or shift from park to reverse or drive?
No, the application of the brake pedal itself does not generate the noise. It seems to occur most frequently while driving at slower speeds with the brakes applied or at slower speeds over more severe bumps. It sounds like a plastic rattle. I've learned over the years a rattle noise can be heard in one location, but it can be generated in what seems like an unlikely remote location.
Old 09-10-2024 | 06:53 PM

I would just start by getting under there and finding what loose. The lower control arm rear bushings are a common culprit, as are the sway bar links and bushings. Could be the steering shaft. Could be the rack and pinion, could be a tie rod end, could be a bad dampener, could be a problem with some other part of a strut assy.
Old 09-10-2024 | 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
I would just start by getting under there and finding what loose. The lower control arm rear bushings are a common culprit, as are the sway bar links and bushings. Could be the steering shaft. Could be the rack and pinion, could be a tie rod end, could be a bad dampener, could be a problem with some other part of a strut assy.
As I stated in my original post, I've had the car up on ramps looking for loose/worn items. I'll certainly check again, but I believe I've already checked those items. The struts were replaced about two years ago according to the Carfax report and they "look" newish. They could still be an issue, but so far they look okay.

Last edited by rcg530; 09-11-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2024 | 07:11 AM
Administrator

Looks can be deceiving.
Old 09-11-2024 | 07:41 AM

this to check LCAs.

Last edited by donbrew; 09-11-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2024 | 08:23 AM
Administrator

And the steering rack input shaft, if it moves up and down while turning the steering wheel from 11 to 1 o’clock, the rack is toast!
Old 10-13-2024 | 07:49 PM

Over the past few weeks, I've been busy investigating an fixing the various things I found worn out in the front suspension. The front lower control arms definitely needed to be replaced since the rubber bushing was about 90% torn. I ordered Moog replacement LCAs and installed them. No change in the noise, but much better steering feel.

The outer tie rod end boots were torn, so I replaced those with ACDelco parts and I had the front end aligned. Again, no change in the noise, but slightly better steering feel due to the new outer tie rod ends not being worn.

Using an automotive stethoscope, I found the upper u-joint in the steering intermediate shaft to have a very tiny amount of play. Yesterday, I replaced the steering intermediate shaft with ACDelco OEM part. No change in the rattle noise, but the steering feel got just a tiny bit better.

I have access to a set of chassis ears to listen for noises. I'll get that tool and see if I can isolate the source of the noise.

If I had to guess, the upper steering column seems to have a bit of side-to-side play and the plastic gear for the power assist feature seems to be a bit noisy as well.

I had found that CARDONE was offering refurbished steering columns for the HHR, but they are not available anywhere. I contacted CARDONE support and they stated none were available, but one might be able to take advantage of their "Return and Rebuild" system.

I found one GM steering column on eBay for $500 USD with one of the older GM part numbers for the HHR. I'm hoping to not have to spend that much on a steering column. I don't want to get one from a wrecking yard since there's no guarantee that one will not have the "plastic gear noise" as well.