Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Price check on 2008 HHR SS brake job.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Price check on 2008 HHR SS brake job.

I have a 2008 HHR SS with about 27K miles on it. Just recently the rear drivers side disc brake started squeaking a bit. Today I took it into the dealer to get a faulty tire sensor replaced (under warranty) and a routine oil change done.

When they looked at the brakes they said that it was time for both front and rear brakes and that the pads were just about gone. I've never had to get brakes done so soon on a vehicle before (usually get 50K or more) so I was surprised they need to be done so soon. When I asked on the price I was told by the service manager that the front pads were $166 and the rear pads were $143. When labor to do the brakes was factored in he said the brake job would be about $720 but he could do it for about $648. When I said I would need to wait for now I was told that I had better do them soon or it would chew up the rotors and I'd need to replace them too. These are just the standard HHR SS brakes (no brembos)

Now, it has been a long time since I've had anyone do brakes on a vehicle but $648 sounds very high just for a new set of pads installed on all four wheels. Are the brake pads that expensive and as these that complex where it makes the labor so high?

If you've had brakes done on an HHR SS with standard disc brakes what did it cost you and when did you first need to get them done?

Robert
Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 PM

If there that high,, My SS is going to end up in the bay,,or accidentally burn to the ground...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM

No way they should be that high. Tell that dealer to go f himself. I know for a fact if he uses acdelco durastop pads theres no way he's buying them for more then $45 a set. His cost on parts alone is way less then $90 and labor shouldnt be more then an hour.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM

When I get quotes like this I ask if they are really "that bad" at doing the work.

I thought the SS pads were known for wearing faster but they aren't made of some exotic material. Even $75 is a stretch.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM

I was really surprised by the estimate on the pads. I still can't believe they want $339 in labor to (maybe turn the rotors) and install the pads. When they were doing the oil change I also had them rotate the tires so all the tires were already going to be off the HHR anyway so the labor for removing and installing the tires shouldn't have been part of the brake estimate.

I'm going to check with some of the other local dealers to get their estimates. If anyone has already had their brakes done on an SS I'd like to hear what you were actually charged.

Robert
Old 05-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Just called another dealer who quoted $100 labor on the front and $190 labor on the rear. Pads/parts are extra and they are checking on the price since he said the SS pads were more. Ouch!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM

You should price check a local auto repair place. They'd be happy to have your brake business. Dealers aren't the only one that can change brakes.

Where in mich are you located?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Looks like the third dealer is a lot more promising! I just called one more that is a little out of the way and was quoted $120 for the front and $120 for the rear (including pads) as long as they can turn the rotors. That seems a lot more reasonable and for that I will definitely consider taking it in.

WTF is the deal with the wide difference in cost between all the dealers?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by decepticonss
You should price check a local auto repair place. They'd be happy to have your brake business. Dealers aren't the only one that can change brakes.

Where in mich are you located?
I'd prefer to have a dealer do it since the brakes on the 2008 HHR SS w/automatic had issues (not stopping well) until the brake fix w/vacuum pump was installed. As long as the dealer is the only one touching the brakes then they own them if there are any issues.

By charging too much they are just losing out on work since I'll just take it down the road to someone with realistic rates. It looks like Ed Rinke is more inline with my expectations and quoted $120 for the front (or rear) which includes pads.

Robert
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM

It's not hard to do yourself, just buy the pads and replace them yourself.

Save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

Quick Reply: Price check on 2008 HHR SS brake job.