Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Progress Springs (low and dangerous????)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1HotHHR
I could not be too careful. Driving down hiway 5, bang, bang, klunk, klunk.
Has anybody else had this experience? Are you happy (really happy) with either Gold Line, Eibach or any other brands.

Did you (or your installer) trim the bump stops??? This would DEFINITELY contribute to the klunking. Just curious...
As for me- I'm running, as most are, the GoldLines... and yes, I too know how/have been driving lowered cars for many years (on terrible Michigan roads).
IMO, the GoldLines/OEM shocks combo creates a 'pogo-effect', or stated differently- it lacks dampening. That's not a complaint, although it could be a little better- but I realize it's not going to happen with anything OEM. Couldn't beat it for the price (installed myself) and it DOESN'T BOTTOM (klunk) that much at all!!! Then again, I don't have an extra couple hundred puonds in stereo equipment in my ride, nor is it common for me to tote around more than 1 passenger (although I HAVE carted quite a bit of supplies around the state- WITHOUT problem).
Maybe the spring rates you got a just a bit softer than what your used to???
Old 10-31-2006, 12:45 PM

Up date. Progress is going to take the springs back, since they have said that they need to redesign them. So thank GOD is wasn't all me just thinking I had a problem, there really was one. So I'm going to be looking into the air bag system SoCalHHRs has and hope to have it maybe by mid 2007. Many thanks for all the info from the HHR family and friends. And yes the bump stops where trimmed.

See ya down the road

Bud / Harvey
Old 10-31-2006, 02:18 PM

ok, i know its not an HHR but i drove this low for almost 5 years. just learn to be aware of your surroundings and driveways. or.... raise it up. if it is a manufacturer problem, that stinks. but low is the way to go. as low as you can get it, oil pan scraping botz dots. i love it!

Name:  tat012.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  56.5 KB