Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Rear disc conversion completed, but soft pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Have you made (or maybe I should ask, can you make) the ABS cycle at all?

If you get air in the ABS pump, you can have a soft pedal. You might need to cycle it, bleed, and cycle again, but that worked for me when I had problems like that on my last (non-GM) car. I ended up pushing out quite a bit of fluid, but got it eventually.
I have not made it cycle, do you mean actually try to lock up the wheels while driving? that seems like it make sense if there is air in the abs pump. I have never heard that before but will certaintly try it before next weekend when I have time to re-bled them. thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
I don't know if this is the case with the HHR (although I do know they do have multiple masters), but that's why I asked you about the master. Every car I've ever worked on (25+ years of builds and restos) has had different masters for drum/drum, disc/drum and disc/disc set-ups.

Some people will say that they didn't need to change the master and everything worked fine, but if they ever used the proper master they would see the difference

Drums and discs need different amounts of fluid and pressures to work properly. That is dictated by different sized bowls and also proportioning valves.

You might possibly just have something as simple as air in your lines, but I just wanted to thow this out there for you too.
It does look like the SS has a diffrent Master, so that could be it as well,
Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 PM

just a side note, I did not hook up my e-brake cable yet because it was to short, somebody at advancedautoparts told me if the e-brake is not hooked up i could have a soft pedal, has anyone heard of that?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by pbatmen
just a side note, I did not hook up my e-brake cable yet because it was to short, somebody at advancedautoparts told me if the e-brake is not hooked up i could have a soft pedal, has anyone heard of that?
They don't know what they are talking about
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
Does the pedal 'pump up' with repeated pumps ?
This would indicate air trapped in the lines..

I agree should have a matching master cyl & proportoning valve to be correct..

Those that have made it work w/out, may not know to what degree they are effective..
Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by pbatmen
What would the ebrake have to do with the pedal?

Does this setup use the disk as the ebrake, or does it have an internal drum? (just curious on my end)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
They don't know what they are talking about
This. And it's an internal drum e-brake that is cable-actuated.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
What would the ebrake have to do with the pedal?

Does this setup use the disk as the ebrake, or does it have an internal drum? (just curious on my end)
the e-brake hooks on the back of the caliper, it is not internal hub system, the guy said that when there is tension on the caliper from the e-brake cable that should correct the soft pedal feel. I don't know, but i need to hook up the e-brake anyway so i will try that and rebleed the system and see from there before trying master cylinders or prop valve. thanks everyone for the feedback, great stuff
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 AM

Your main brakes are hydralic and the ebrake is cable operated. They don't work together.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by solman98
Your main brakes are hydralic and the ebrake is cable operated. They don't work together.
Not exactly correct solman. Think about it. They don't work completely seperate. What happens when you engage the e-brake? Which part of the caliper does it move? Just something to ponder......

Quick Reply: Rear disc conversion completed, but soft pedal