Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Rear disc conversion completed, but soft pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Your main brakes are hydralic and the ebrake is cable operated. They don't work together.
Yes, I am aware that they are to diffrent systems. Here is what i have read from a cobalt guy that swaped: check to see if the parking brake is adjusted. if the handle clicks more then 3-4 clicks, its too loose. the rear brakes and the parking brake system work with the rear caliper piston, if there is too much slack in the parking brake, it takes that much more fluid to cover the distance between the pad and the rotor like i said i dont know if it will work but for me its worth a shot.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pbatmen
Yes, I am aware that they are to diffrent systems. Here is what i have read from a cobalt guy that swaped: check to see if the parking brake is adjusted. if the handle clicks more then 3-4 clicks, its too loose. the rear brakes and the parking brake system work with the rear caliper piston, if there is too much slack in the parking brake, it takes that much more fluid to cover the distance between the pad and the rotor like i said i dont know if it will work but for me its worth a shot.
Good info he gave you. FWIW. I looked at mine and when you release the e-brake it completely releases. In other words, it backs off till it hits the "stop" on the bracket. Don't know if hooking up the cables will make any difference.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by pbatmen
the e-brake hooks on the back of the caliper, it is not internal hub system, the guy said that when there is tension on the caliper from the e-brake cable that should correct the soft pedal feel. I don't know, but i need to hook up the e-brake anyway so i will try that and rebleed the system and see from there before trying master cylinders or prop valve. thanks everyone for the feedback, great stuff
Yes, it's a good idea to have your e-brake hooked up, but as you've already read on here....... you will be wasting your time, if you think that's going to make your regular braking more effective

When GM used a different master for dual dics applications, why do you think that you are going to "get lucky" and not need one?

This is the second thread this week, that people are taking chances with the biggest, most important safety feature of their rides. For your own benefit... Don't skimp on brakes.

If you felt the need to upgrade to discs in the first place, why would you try to cut corners now and not get the full benefit of your upgrade? Get your new master and be done with it, because even if you fix your soft pedal, you already know you are supposed to have a different master to do it correctly
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM

So i rented a power bleeder from Advanced and bled the heck out of the system, that helped a lot with the pedal but not quite there, then i made my own parking brake extensions, and adjusted them and the rear calipers work great. this is how the car should feel and brake out of the factory, good riddance drum brakes.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM

I am surprised that nobody mentioned that the rear disk brakes are adjusted via the e-brake. That's why they were soft without the cable attached. They are not the same as the front disks that are always adjusted by definition.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM

I continue the parking brake adjustments and the car gets better. I will be installing Brembos in the front in the next week or so also.