Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Rear spring insulator.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Only reason I brought it up was I was wondering if that was the split the OP saw and his noise is coming from elsewhere........ Mine doesn't make any noises and looks like that photo which I would say is "normal". (other photos show the same)
I hear ya, & agree about looking normal.. I know the different materials are not same 1 piece, just figured to not disturb more than I needed to..
Mine is quitet also..

But the top spring pad imo would be the part that could wear or break-apart & make noise..
Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 AM

The rear springs can/will eventually destroy the foam insulator. When it does, the rear springs will get noisy over bumps. This past winter destroyed mine. found the foam pieces in my driveway.

I have not looked at replacing them yet. In the old days we would just buy a piece of heater hose, split it lengthwise rap it over the top turn or two of the spring. Securing it with wire ties if it loose before installing the springs. Not sure this will work on the HHR. I don't know if there is enough room on the top coil. It might be worth a try though.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
If you are asking me? No not at all, two pieces and made that way. The foam bit actually was still in good enough shape to put back in. (I call it foam, for lack of a better term.... rubberlike semi porous material is too long to say... )

EDIT: You can see very clearly in the fifth photo in this post..... https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...04&postcount=7

The purple piece is the hard plastic.... that brown piece is like a rubbery/foam washer........ You can even see where the old springs were as it's a white color. Mine looked just like that.
Hey, those are my pics! (Yes, they are def two separate pieces). I would only replace with the GM parts myself. I wouldnt want to have to go back in there to replace something I made custom.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM

Greybeard,
The round foam like material that goes between the spring and the bumper is what was cracked and deteriorated.It had radial cracks going from the inside to the outside. I could pull it apart by hand easily if I wanted to. It does appear to be 2 pieces, as it doesn't seem attached to anything. As bad as it looks to me , there must be metal to metal contact going on. The noise is more apparent when the body is leaning around corners.
The only OEM replacement I have found was the SS replacement at GMPD.
I could cut a replacement out of some rubber or Viton material I have at work to insulate it.The noise is driving me crazy!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't exactly sure what you were looking at.... As someone posted above the foam does give out. (mine hasn't yet) Metal to metal contact would mean the purple piece has bit the dust too.......
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lake Runner
Greybeard,
The round foam like material that goes between the spring and the bumper is what was cracked and deteriorated.It had radial cracks going from the inside to the outside. I could pull it apart by hand easily if I wanted to. It does appear to be 2 pieces, as it doesn't seem attached to anything. As bad as it looks to me , there must be metal to metal contact going on. The noise is more apparent when the body is leaning around corners.
The only OEM replacement I have found was the SS replacement at GMPD.
I could cut a replacement out of some rubber or Viton material I have at work to insulate it.The noise is driving me crazy!
Cut some out of good rubber.. It only takes say 1/2 hr to do both sides to try the rubber. Cut right, I can't see why it wouldn't work well.