Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Ride quality after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:40 PM

Ride quality after lowering

Please descride the ride and handling changes if any after lowering the HHR........

Joe
Old 04-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Banned

I'll let the people who have actually lowered their HHR field this question but I had to add my . I thought about lowering my HHR and then the reality of how crappy and pot hole filled our roads are set in. I didn't have much luck the last time I lowered a vehicle so I'm worried about lowering my HHR.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Founding Member

For me, driving old pieces of crap all my life, even with my HHR lowered, it's still a nice ride!
Slightly stiffer is all I have noticed in my case. I tend to drive a bit slower and more cautious over stuff now. Heck, whats the big rush to get anywhere anyways!
I'm getting there cool and in style!
Old 04-30-2006, 04:21 PM

The ride is still pretty good. The handling is the same if not better in the corner. As is with any vehicle once you lower it the ride suffers a little. When I first lowered it I didn't notice it at all. Now, after 4 months I can tell when I hit a pot hole or bump in the road. Also when going down a street that has a wavy feel to it. Over all out of the 8 lowered vehicles I owned, my HHR has the best ride.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:20 PM

It is stiffer and doesn't roll as much in the corners but its a little bouncy at times. Still no rubbing though..
Old 04-30-2006, 08:24 PM

I just lowered mine today. I've noticed less "squat" when accelerating and also less "nose-diving" during hard-braking. Seems to be less body roll when cornering but, I've haven't tried to hard yet (had to much stuff sliding around in the back). The overall ride is still nice but, can seem a bit bouncier. This is my first lowered car so I don't have any experiences to compare it to.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:05 PM

At first I thought about putting the orginal springs back in because it seemed too stiff and bouncy. Decided I would drive my 3/4 truck for a few days then switch back to the HHR. Problem solved, don't even notice it anymore.

My point it will most certain ride stiffer after lowering and you will notice it, you will get used to and it's still a damm smooth ride. Cornering, accellation, braking and LOOKS will all be greatly improved. If a smooth ride it the most improtant thing to you don't lower it. If you would like to improve braking, cornering, driving on windy days and like the look I'd say go for it.

Its a mod you can make for under $300 and it is reversable so if you change you mind you can always pull'em out and sell'em on Ebay.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:24 PM

With the Gold Lines installed, the ride quality degraded a notch, but the trade-off was less squat and dive, and noticeably less body roll in corners. With over 5" of ground clearance, most speedbumps were easily handled, and the car's short overhangs allow one to still negotiate driveways.

However... The addition of 18x8 wheels and 245/40-18 tires (a +1 from the factory wheels, same overall diameter) hinders the ride quality to "barely civil" status. The wheels/tires certainly look good on a lowered car, but the tradeoff is a harsh ride.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:41 PM

After installing the gold lines I was shocked that the ride quality was still as smooth as original (on a normal road). But on a rough road you will notice a difference. On large dips you WILL bottom out which will give you a sudden jounce although not hard, and on a washboard road you will get a slight bounce, but not jarring. All in all I think I can live with it....but this may change soon. -Dan
Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 PM

Goldlines + 18x8 wheels. Rides smooth as long as the road is likewise. You have to slowdown on bumps and avoiding any kind of potholes is a must regardless. I commute 70 miles roundtrip to work every day. The ride doesn't bother me but I'm biased, I'm all about looks

Ng

Quick Reply: Ride quality after lowering