Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Shorter rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010 | 09:12 AM
Rest In Peace

Thanks.

I definitely prefer the Shocks.

How much were they and do you have the Link for them Direct?

Adding a set of used Goldline Leveling Springs and I don't want the falling out problems when I take it to the Dealer for service.

If they Never fall out on them, I doubt they'd notice the swap.(Unless it was Warranty work Related to the rear suspension.) In that case i'd swap the Original springs back in, Beforehand.

I'll be painting some stock factory stuff underneath in Purple so if asked about anything, i'll just say I painted some things for Show.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2010 | 09:59 AM

They were around 75 bucks through HHR Boutique.
Old 08-23-2010 | 06:43 PM

They will notice first time they try to rack the car.....
Old 01-18-2011 | 03:26 PM

Does anyone know where else I can find these shorter shocks that HHRboutique sold? I am trying to get parts together for lowering my car and I don't want springs falling out.

HHRboutique doesn't have any shocks listed on their website.

If they aren't available...

is this the next best option?
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1669C514.aspx
Old 01-18-2011 | 03:54 PM

The FE 5 / SS Shock we installed were 1/2" shorter than the stock shocks that came originally on our 1LT. That being said you probably want to decide on what springs you are installing before contemplating shorter shocks! Some manufactures of springs have them very close in length that when your HHR is lifted the springs stay in place with stock shocks! If installing Cobalt SS or Eibach Pro Springs your factory shocks should be short enough to retain the springs! Now if installing springs such as Gen 1 Gold Lines or maybe even Pedders we think the shorter shock therory will be used! By the way the HHR Boutuqe Shocks are not listed but if you contact them are a special order item!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 01-18-2011 | 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. DLVRNIT
The FE 5 / SS Shock we installed were 1/2" shorter than the stock shocks that came originally on our 1LT. That being said you probably want to decide on what springs you are installing before contemplating shorter shocks! Some manufactures of springs have them very close in length that when your HHR is lifted the springs stay in place with stock shocks! If installing Cobalt SS or Eibach Pro Springs your factory shocks should be short enough to retain the springs! Now if installing springs such as Gen 1 Gold Lines or maybe even Pedders we think the shorter shock therory will be used! By the way the HHR Boutuqe Shocks are not listed but if you contact them are a special order item!

Best-O-Luck ,

thank you for the reply.

I am looking at shocks because my front struts have been leaking for quite some time and I figured it was a good time to change them all out. I do see what you are saying and THANKYOU for telling me that I don't need new shocks as long as I stay in the Cobals SS or Eiback Pro level.

I was more leaning towards the 1st gen Gold Lines because they seem to give the most drop, so that's where the shorter shocks come into play.

I guess the biggest hurdle I need to jump over is the lowered vs slammed look. I need to figure out which one I want. I assume if I go lowered I can install eibachs, just replace the front struts and be on my way.

If I go slammed then I would need Gold Lines or Pedders and 2 new short shocks to go along with the new struts up front.
Old 01-18-2011 | 06:22 PM

Good to know ahead of time, first I'v heard on this..getting ready to install Gold Lines all around. That would really suck for the springs to fall out while being lifted.
Old 01-19-2011 | 08:35 AM

What about using nylon cable ties? There should be some way to make them work. If you'll drive it to Spartanburg , S.C. I'll help ya out for free!
Old 01-19-2011 | 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rcflyboy
Here is a link to the Cobalt SS FE-5 shocks which are the same as the HHR SS ones plus some other suspension parts for the FE-5 suspension.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor..._ID=188&Page=1

Here are the part numbers. FE-5 Front LH 15247245 & Front RH 15247246 $102.60 each, FE5 Rear Shock 22728821 $52.73 each.
This is hands down the best deal i've seen on the FE5 struts , needless to say I picked some up
Old 01-24-2011 | 10:27 AM

They are not listed on the HHR Boutique website, but if you call they can get them for you.
Cable ties would work, but that is not the right way to solve the problem. They get brittle in cold weather and can snap. The way our suspension is designed, the shock keeps the springs in place. Shorter springs require shorter shocks. As an added benefit, the new shocks will be a bit firmer giving less lean and better handling. Besides, where would you hook the cable ties to? When the shock compresses, they will flop around and could get caught on something if they are not properly placed.

Besides, the shocks are very simple to replace-only a couple of bolts.