Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM

Squeaky brakes

Chops only has 5100 miles on him. Is it common to hear brake squeaks so soon? Was just wondering if this is common with GM.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 PM

could be a few things doing that, However do not oil your squeel.. sorry had to say that.

I know some new pads have a membrane behind them that absorbs some of the vibration.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wodinator
Chops only has 5100 miles on him. Is it common to hear brake squeaks so soon? Was just wondering if this is common with GM.
Is it the front or rear. Two different types, disc vs drum. My guess is, the fronts. Fronts pads have a metal tab that scrapes on the rotor when they get to the point in need of replacement but that should not be at this time unless you ride the brakes which I doubt. They do make a brake pad anti squeak lube that goes on the back side of the the pads. New pads come with it in the box. You may also have some foreign material (small stone) stuck on the edge of the pad and rotor. Check them or have them checked, Brakes are you life line.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 AM

GM has begun putting very hard brake pads on most/all of their vehicles. While this gives very great milage on the pads, and low dust it often causes squealing. You can get aftermarket pads that have a different compound, they will have the same performance without the sqeal.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 AM

I think it's the front and it doesn't always squeak. I don't ride the brakes either (I hate when people do that).

I'm not mechanically inept at all, I've just never had a squeaky situation so soon, esp with a car that is brand new.

Thanks for the input and maybe I'll have to take Chops to the dealer...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wodinator
I think it's the front and it doesn't always squeak. I don't ride the brakes either (I hate when people do that).
Doesn't sound serious then. I yell at my wife all the time about putting on the brakes when she going down a down grade. Most of the time it will only pick up 5mph then start going up hill again, and the people behind ya are getting ticked also. Now there are some spots around here where the cops wait at the bottom of a hill to nail people.
Since you are under warranty, let the dealer check them.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:15 AM

I always downshift on a down grade (if it's even necessary at the time). I hate braking down a hill.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Try hosing out ( with a strong and steady spray from a hose) the pads and rotors. SOMETIMES ON GM VEHICLES, the dirt and brake dust accumulation causes a squealing noise when applying the brakes. Afterward, drive SLOWLY and apply the brakes SLIGHTLY for a SHORT period of time....this will dry any moisture that was retained on the pad/rotor area.

Could be a cheap and easy "fix".

If you hear a squeaking noise while driving slowly, WITHOUT APPLYING THE BRAKES (and usually with the frt. windows down), the wear indicators are telling you it will be time for a pad change.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Try hosing out ( with a strong and steady spray from a hose) the pads and rotors. SOMETIMES ON GM VEHICLES, the dirt and brake dust accumulation causes a squealing noise when applying the brakes. Afterward, drive SLOWLY and apply the brakes SLIGHTLY for a SHORT period of time....this will dry any moisture that was retained on the pad/rotor area.

Could be a cheap and easy "fix".

If you hear a squeaking noise while driving slowly, WITHOUT APPLYING THE BRAKES (and usually with the frt. windows down), the wear indicators are telling you it will be time for a pad change.

I have heard you can also do the same with WD-40, spray a little on while on an empty street and make a nice steady stop.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Premiere07
I have heard you can also do the same with WD-40, spray a little on while on an empty street and make a nice steady stop.
I would ABSOLUTELY NOT DO THIS, for some very obvious reasons.

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes