Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

sway bar for HHR

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
I just recieved an E-mail from Gloria- Powel Race Shop= full info on how it was developed a long and detailed info anyone considering a rear sway bar should read this info. glad I did.
So you still going for the 1.25"?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by prod
So you still going for the 1.25"?
It depends on what the redesign Eibach is? I may just buy the OTT after reading their letter to me the quality is great seamless tubing and more.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:20 PM

The 1 inch bar was desighned for the Fe3 susp. the 1.5 was for the Fe5 If anyone wants to read the long detailed letter from Powell Raceing you can PM me witha an E-mail addr. and I will forward the letter to you, as I cannot download onto the site.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM

Um bigger is always better. but the diff. between the two bars is MOOT! without latteral bracing it doesnt matter, it's gonna flex, and thats a good thing. solid stuff likes to shatter, instead of tear. As long as its a good quality metal, that has memory built into the design then it should be fine. I've had the TTR Bar since it came out, and at this point I'm so used to it that it feels OEM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
The 1 inch bar was desighned for the Fe3 susp. the 1.5 was for the Fe5 If anyone wants to read the long detailed letter from Powell Raceing you can PM me witha an E-mail addr. and I will forward the letter to you, as I cannot download onto the site.
cut and paste?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 PM

I was able to E-mail to Graybeard and he recieved it, maybe hewill download to this? it is up to him, everone have a great day.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Here's the info that Jay received (sans prices as I'm not advertising for this company) Interesting specs and worth reading. One note that I've never mentioned in other threads on this topic. (and there's a bunch of threads) Directly comparing the OD of a solid bar vs. a hollow bar IS NOT compairing apples to apples.

Street rear sway bar 1.0 A rear mounted, easily installed bar that is best for FE3 base suspension cars; for drivers who enjoy their cars on the street and do not auto cross or race their cars. . All PRS bars are supplied with mounting hardware and nut plates, installs in a few minutes. Powdercoated durable finish. Powell bars are made from Chrome Alloy material made in Germany. Chromealloy steel will remain elastic and bend through the desired range of motion without "going plastic". 1 1 textured black or red 2004-2010 all Delta $XXX.XX

Hardcore rear sway bar 1.25 This is the original sized bar devised by John Powell and developed with GM chassis engineers, and used on the famous "Time Attack" Cobalt driven to overall victory by John Heinricy in 2005. Best for FE5 suspension cars, and drivers who track their cars as well as enjoying spirited street performance. All Powell bars are mandrel bent and then placed in a jig, machined and inserts TIG welded through the bar and normalized. The Delta twisting beam rear suspension is not like other suspension designs. Its simple, effective, and any add-on sway bar properly made and attached will change the shear point and change the rear roll center. 1 1 textured black or red 2004-2010 all Delta $XXX.XX

Triple X rear sway bar 1.50 The newest rear bar developed by John in response to customer requests. Perfectly fine for expert drivers on the street. Like any of our add-on suspension parts, best for track use. . Best for upgraded suspensions with spherical front suspension joints, stiffer/shorter springs and track use. When the time attack Cobalt rear bar was devised, it was to compliment a twisting beam that had a weld in rear bar, 1.75 x .095 chromealloy and a 1.25 add on bar. This gave the desired stiffness to suit John Heinricy's inimitable track driving style. In 2011,National SCCA autocross competitors and track stars, Scott Herbert, Allan Densmore and Warren Wang asked John to come up with a more aggressive rear bar for use with a stock rear twisting beam.. The Triple X is just that, and gets closer to the Time Attack configuration, as stock twisting beams have a 22 mm solid weld in bar, which is not as stiff as the original Time Attack rear beam 1 1 textured black or red 2004-2010 all Delta $XXX.XX

Just to repeat what I've said before, I have the Progress Tech bar, It works very well, and I put it through some abusive turns at times, car handles like a slot car and off the line torque steer is also vastly improved. I got it used and it wasn't bent/deformed/sacked out and still isn't. I'm also not planning to change to the Powell as there is no need to. I'm just helping Jay post this info for others to read.

The whole "bigger is better" deal is starting to feel like these bars are the next "bull nads" hanging off the back of guy's cars.....
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 PM

I loved your last comment, priceless.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 PM

I plan on doing some more track time, so bigger bar works for me. You woosies can keep your "Bull Nads". [sure to draw some comments...huh!]. "Moon"
Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 AM

Actually on second thought: I think this whole sway bar issue, is Who has the "Bigger" "Differential Instantanous Corrective Kinetive" device. "Moon"

Quick Reply: sway bar for HHR