Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Tall tales and fish stories....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:27 AM

Having driven a bit on some two-lane road recently, I did see Elvis go over 30 mpg on his instant gas mileage readout for a while when traveling at 55mph. My problem is that I am either in town, crawling along, or on the interstate going 70+. Elvis certainly does not get stellar mileage at either speed. It is very rare for me to be able to go steady 55mph anywhere. I am thinking perhaps some folks getting great mileage are traveling that speed, maybe in a 2.2? God Bless, Marc
Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM

Back in the 60's I bought a 66 Nova SS with a 283, 3 speed on the column and one of the first things I noticed was the terrific gas mileage I got. I drove this car hard. Well I decided to see what it would do at the track. There being three good dragstrips in the DC area (where I was stationed), I took it to Budd's Creek (MIR now) first and was astounded when it ran a bunch of mid 10's on street tires no less. Trying to figure out what was up, my friends and I did some tuning and got it run low 10's. Then on a trip to my hometown in western MD (first long freeway trip) I was astonished with my mileage - 36 mpg. A couple of weeks later at Capitol Raceway, two men in dark suits wearing sunglasses approached me and said they were there to take the carb off of my engine - they would give me a brand new one and a couple hundred dollars for my trouble. Being young, dumb and trying to live on E-4 pay, I said sure. The SS never ran quicker than 14 flat after that and the best mileage I could get was around 16 mpg.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
Having driven a bit on some two-lane road recently, I did see Elvis go over 30 mpg on his instant gas mileage readout for a while when traveling at 55mph. My problem is that I am either in town, crawling along, or on the interstate going 70+. Elvis certainly does not get stellar mileage at either speed. It is very rare for me to be able to go steady 55mph anywhere. I am thinking perhaps some folks getting great mileage are traveling that speed, maybe in a 2.2? God Bless, Marc

In my case, yes.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 AM

Speed....not always,, there are a lot of speeds where the milage does not change much.....in town gets hammered with the stop and go and all the increased idle times at red lights and stop signs.....cruising thru town with a light foot I see 30 plus at 25-35mph
alot of it depends on the gear and load.. and of course who happens to be watching as you drive by....!In town you cannot maintain a steady foot, so milage suffers.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:44 AM

Hey "Woody", I agree, as I also have seen some high numbers with a light foot in town.....but those stop lights just kill my mileage. Like you said, we can't go steady enough in town. On the highway where I can hold steady or set the cruise, it seems like my car's 2.4 just gets worse the faster I go. I have only checked highway mileage in cruise at 55mph and above. At 55 my readout shows 32mpg or so, but then traffic is piled up behind me. At 60 it drops a couple of mpg's. At 70 I am down to like 28mpg, and at 75 it goes even lower. :-( I haven't checked 80 as I don't cruise there, but I am guessing it would drink like a Bentley. Heh, heh. Still, it is better than my previous cars, so I cannot complain. I guess I was not thinking that there may be folks out there who do drive all of their mileage at a steady 45 or 55 mph with no stops....I just cannot imagine it where I live. God Bless, Marc
Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 AM

Same with the SS..above about 68 mine gets harder to maintain above 30 while feathering the foot, unless I have a good wind block in front or a good tail wind. The wifs car (LS) has 33 on the DIC and it hasn't been touched since early last year and she isn't exactly a light foot ( Two warnings in a years time).She says she up around 60-65 but also back roads thru small towns and lites and intersections. But thats a 2.2 for ya.....
Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 AM

im getting 22.2 mpg with mostly city driving and like mabey 28 ...29 on the highway thats on e 85 with my foot on the floor 2.2 lt
Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM

2.4 LT2 5spd manual 27.5 mpg avg on 30 mile commute (16 miles hwy, 17 miles side streets). This is every tank.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:16 PM

I get 22-26 in the city depending on how I drive. On the highway I get 28 (75+ MPH), 36MPG @ 65 MPH, 42 @ 60 MPH. I usually run 75+ on the highway though I know I could do much better but do not want to get run over on the highway!
I have done some things to my car and not sure how much it helps it. I put a 2.4 intake manifold on it, Airiad intake filter, and a complete 2.4 exhaust system on the car with a Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler. Car sounds really good runs good and gets good gas mileage when I keep my foot out of it. My thinking was to let it breathe and it should perform better.
I also lowered the car with Goldline springs and put a front air dam on it. I put a little taller tires on it so my gas mileage actually is a little better than stated verified with my GPS's (2)
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Do these things have 15gal tanks in them?

If so, I am getting average of 27.3mpg. My car's low fuel light goes on at about 410 miles, so I immediately get gas, I am sure i could push it further. If people behind you aren't honking at you while accelerating from a green light, you aren't driving slow enough.

Quick Reply: Tall tales and fish stories....