General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

*** KINDA URGENT Remote Start Mod Danger

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 PM

ChevyMgr -

The issue here is NOT doing a really keen mod to our vehicles - it's the "who cares", "it ain't likely to happen" attitude on the part of some owners/posters. I was thrilled to find the mod, being a SoCal driver who has to daily, for a good part of each year put up with triple digit interior temps after the car has been parked for even a few minutes.

On the other hand - I didn't like the idea of UMM happening to myself or others because of the mod. I was PARTICULARLY disturbed when I experienced the "Short Run Cycle" during my post mod checkout - as I said it scared the bejeezes out of me and I thank God I didn't have any extremeties in risky places at the time, and it happened to me BEFORE some unsuspecting schmuck working on my HHR unexpectedly experienced it.

Since my last post I have completed the installation of BOTH a tilt switch to emulate the "HOOD CLOSED" switch and a standard $2 pin switch in an "already there" hole near the hood latch to emulate the "HOOD AJAR" switch. This configuration prevents the Short Run Cycle from occurring AND adds another input to the security system - since the Hood Ajar switch is monitored by that BCM function. With the addition of the HOOD AJAR switch, if the hood is forced opened while the doors are locked, the alarm is activated. (Found this one out by reaching through the open driver's window and popping the hood after locking doors.)

The responses to my initial post gave me the impression that those involved in developing the original mod thread & refinements were insulted by my disclosure of danger and my proposed solution. I had planned on posting a complete HOWTO showing the safer mod procedure, but was slammed enough to not feel like expending the effort to do so. I haven't been back to the site since the slapdown but since I got notified that a comment from you specifically had been posted, and because you've been helpful to me in the past, I wanted you to know that making this mod in a SAFE manner isn't really all that difficult.

If you want details, let me know & I'll PM them to you.

Regards
=jimb=
Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 PM

hi jim
thanks for your time and effort in bringing a potentially dangerous scenario to light. now, at least, u can sleep at night knowing that people are made aware of this. the rest is up to those who take it upon themselves to do this mod.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Founding Member

I think the message has been conveyed for this thread.

Any further posting is just going to be confrontational.