General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

&@#$%*! Frack'n Drunks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mudd274
I had a girl side swipe my car backing out of a parking space. She was drunk and I had an eye witness but was told since they, the law didnt see her driving they couldnt charge her for hitting my car or dui. I hope you get her good!!!! I had to pay a deductible to get my car fixed by my insurance.
Whatever cop told you that is lazy. Any witness to erratic driving, especially an accident, will serve quite nicely to get a DWI conviction. Problem is in the larger cities, the courts and law enforcement agencies are too busy to mess with first and second time offenders, so they let 'em go on probation for a couple years and unless they get in a third offense, nothing bad will happen except their insurance rates will skyrocket.

I represent a lot of DWIs. They're easy for the police to screw up if they don't connect all the dots on the report, but around here the cops aren't too shabby. The best witness for the State are the drivers themselves. They'll pull 'em out of the car and they'll admit they're drunk and fall all over themselves trying to do those silly tests that mean nothing. Once you blow, it's pretty much done if the machine was certified and they watched you not drink or vomit for 15 minutes.

BTW, regardless of BAC, if you're driving bad enough to appear intoxicated, any prosecutor worth his salt should be able to convict you of DWI with even a low BAC and failed FSTs.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 AM

I bet this wasn't her first time drinking and driving...

Glad to hear you and your car is ok!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:11 AM

DUI's-DWI's-Accidents etc

Approximately 3 months ago, we had the unfortunate experience of observing a vehicle "run up" into the back of another vehicle in a left turn lane, setting off a "chain reaction" that eventually included 5 vehicles, and 2 injuries.

We parked out of the way of all traffic, went over to render assistance (I am a Physician). When I had completed stabilization of a young lady and her grandmother (brachial arterial event)- we were told very "forcefully", to get in our vehicles unless we were witness to the incident, and leave the site.

The (Highway Patrol Officer) did not inquire whether or not we were witness, victim, or medical- or, perhaps even another law enforcement officer

I was appalled at the behavior exhibited, and have had other folks imply that they have been accorded the similiar treatment by law enforcement, while rendering their duty to assist others.

This certainly contributes to the probability that unless it appears to be a major medical event requiring my intervention to preserve your life, I believe I will not stop ever again.

And yes, I do have Physician designation on my California Vehicle Plates.

Have we become this "calloused and offending to others", that it has permeated the Public Employee workforce as well?

AND YES....We Need to remove these impaired folks from the roadways by assisting authorities- but, if they (law enforcement) want our cooperation and assistance (citizens), they need to realize a "2 way street" here!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TahoeJoe
Have we become this "calloused and offending to others", that it has permeated the Public Employee workforce as well?

AND YES....We Need to remove these impaired folks from the roadways by assisting authorities- but, if they (law enforcement) want our cooperation and assistance (citizens), they need to realize a "2 way street" here!
Pretty much agree. We've become a very police-friendly society that is willing to give law enforcement almost unchecked power to do whatever is necessary to put the "bad guys" in jail. I'm friends with a lot of cops, but there's a lot of cops I would never want to be friends with.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 PM

Count yourself lucky that wench didn't kill you. My neighbor was killed last year by a drunk driver. She was on her way home from choir practice, and about 10 miles from home, a STUPID, DRUNK, UNDERAGE girl crossed over the double yellow line and hit her head-on. My neighbor was killed instantly, even though she was in the bigger car. The drunk was thrown out of her car (which caught on fire), and barely a scratch on her.

Not only did this drunk girl take away a wife, a mom (who had cared for her son who has a disease requiring constant care) - she ruined her life as well. They were going to charge her with manslaughter as an adult, but she was 17and OF COURSE, they plea bargained and got it knocked down into juvy court. So, she'll be good to go. She won't be made an example, like she should be. Maybe her giant F#%-up, would have been a wake-up call to other teens, had she been charged as an adult and done some hard time.

But, we're too soft on drunk driving, and I'm sick of it.

On a little lighter note, I got rear ended in my '68 Camaro about 20 years ago, by a drunk woman in a Dodge Dart. Barely a scratch on her giant chrome bumper. But smashed the she-hite out of my Camaro.

There is no hope for this country, with this problem. No hope...
Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Seeburg220
But, we're too soft on drunk driving, and I'm sick of it.
With the amount of $$$$$ the government makes from alcohol sales, any legislation (which would be very unpopular with the public) would cause a huge reduction in income, which no political person would vote for, since they want the bucks.