General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

07 HHR no crank sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jallen8482
I just got back from charging the battery to 13.2 volts. Car still has no fuel pump and still no crank. Proper voltage at starter. Both wires. The fuse box before i got the car had some minor damage around the cigarrette lighter fuse under hood. Melted a bit. Never was a problem before. I loosened the fuse box bolts. Wiggled the fuse box gently and reseated it and tightened the bolts. I now have no power to anything at all anywhere in the vehicle. All fuses and relays are seated correctly. Is there a ground wire under the fuse box that may have been weak or broken and me moving the box a little bit might have finished it off ? Im lost now.
This damage around the cigarette lighter fuse, this fuse also is for the OBD2 test port under the dash. That's why you don't know if there are any codes. Which kind of handcuffs any attempt to diagnose anything.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:39 PM

That makes sense now thank you. I have replaced that fuse after trying to get codes so my phone charger would work. I have no way of getting the car anywhere to have codes checked. I also use this car for my job. I door dash. The 12 volt front port works now even though the plastic in the fuse box is melted all around it and the sticker on the lid showing fuse locations is burnt up. The previous owner used a window defroster/heater and had it wired to the side of the fuse box because it kept blowing and melting the fuses. Im guessing the accident i was in the other day shook an already loose connection in the fuse box. I took the ignition switch harness off and jumped its pins and the car acted the exact same way and still no crank or fuel pump.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:38 PM

Sure would have been nice to know all of that 3 pages ago. Yes, the fuse box(s) are suspected.
A free digital Owner Manual is available via the link in my sig.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:40 PM
Administrator

So, we are back to the fuse box, you’ll have to inspect it closely.

https://fuse-box.info/chevrolet/chev...uses-and-relay
Old 02-10-2022, 06:23 PM

I removed the fuse box. Everything looks perfectly fine on the bottom pins and the harnesses mounted underneath all look clean and no signs of damage of any kind. I pulled the fuse box in half and there is no sign of any damage inside. Im wondering what would cause no power to go to the #5 30 amp crank fuse ? Whatever it is also causing various things here and there to not work correctly. Such as headlights, wipers, horn etc. I have put a new battery and alternator in it. I have replaced every single piece of the front suspension. Three weeks ago put 4 brand new tires on it and had it aligned. A few months ago my rear wiper and rear defrost quit working and the fuse for them is fine. My thermostat went out and right after that my blower motor quit working from the faulty under hood seal leaking on it. I bought this car a year ago and have put in $4000 worth of work into it and i really dont want to give up on it and i dont have the money to have it repaired by a professional currently because it is how I make money. I hope i can figure out whats wrong with it soon or im going to lose my home as well.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

So. You bought a well worn, 14 year old car with a bunch of miles on it and had to spend some money on it for repairs. The gamble of buying an old car.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t!
Old 02-12-2022, 02:23 PM

I lifted the carpet on the drivers side and i seen sparks. A red and white wire was broken in half but still touching and green corrosion was everywhere. The red and white wire along with a red wire had been spliced into for a little black box that has red and green lights blinking on it. It says this side down. When i reconnected the red and white wire i got my fuel guage back working but still have no crank situation. Any ideas or help on what that is and what it may have done would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Perhaps a photo would help, I’m not aware of the box you speak of, maybe aftermarket alarm installed by PO?
Sparks and corrosion, red wire should be 12v
Old 02-12-2022, 04:01 PM

It was connected to a solid red wire and a red and white wire and grounded right there to the body. It says inlex on it. Red and green light flashing. I want to add that i just checked my oil and it is way overfull and smells like pure gasoline and is very thin. I just got an oil change a month ago. My headlights now work my fuel guage now works but my wipers do not and no crank still persists.

Quick Reply: 07 HHR no crank sometimes