General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

07 HHR no crank sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 08:09 AM

Either from previously leaking injectors or bad rings.
The bigger problem at the moment is the gas in the oil, NOT a common problem. Whoever told you that is full of BS. You don't want it to run except to completely ruin it.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:01 PM

It has used oil since i bought it. Usually 2 quarts between oil changes. Smokes a little. Im a delivery driver so alot of stop and go driving 8 to 10 hours a day. I think i may have narrowed down some issues. The wiring harness under the drivers side carpet, where the black box was crudely spliced in. It has multiple wires that were cut presumably when they removed the sheathing. Not cut all the way through. Green corrosion everywhere. Where i live we recently had over a foot of snow. With me getting in and out of the vehicle a hundred times a day alot of water with salt accumulated where the harness lays. All of the exposed cut wires were wet. One of them was worn through from rubbing against the metal floorpan. So far i have cut and spliced 4 wires that were damaged. I believe the salt water shorted them out. Its weird that i had only one blown fuse. It was the tcm/ecm fuse on the bcm. Replacing that did not fix the no start no crank. So far the car still wont crank over. If it does i will take it right around the corner for an oil change. Im still not sure if maybe that water damage has somehow ruined a computer. I hope not.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:10 PM

I was a delivery driver 1000 miles or more a week. Mine did not burn oil or fill with gasoline. This is serious. Your problem is probably a dead engine. Have you checked the timing chain, compression, fuel pressure?
Old 02-13-2022, 01:55 PM

I have not checked those things you just mentioned. It started and ran fine the other day. Then i went back out and it started and ran fine again multiple more times that evening. Then the next day it was back to no crank again. The wires having broken jackets and exposed to salt water had them so corroded that they were actually broken where the sheath on them was sliced. I still have a couple that the jacket is cut open that i havent spliced yet. They didnt show signs of green corrosion and werent really wet like the other few were. I imagine if i keep looking there are more wires that need repaired. Thats me hoping for the best i guess.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Alrighty then, continue on, keep us up to date .
Old 02-15-2022, 11:01 AM

Update. I have spliced and reattached all wires that i could find that were damaged in the drivers side floor panel. I have tested every single fuse with a volt meter with crank and without cranking. Every fuse except the ignition fuse, the power seat in the under hood fuse box and on the bcm have power. Still no crank. For some reason there is no power going to the ignition fuse number 62 under hood or the one in the BCM in the car. Any suggestions as to why that may be would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:15 AM

I forgot to add this as well. The 41 fuse and 45 fuse both only have 2.4 volts on them. I dont think that should be that way. One is the ecm and the other is injectors/ignition module. Any ideas as to what may cause that ? I also tested ground on the ecm module and tcm module and both are good.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:20 PM
Administrator

A damaged non functional relay, perhaps
Old 02-15-2022, 10:25 PM

Finally got the car running and everything working. When I took the fusebox out and then put it back in the other day i didnt reseat it all the way. When the four 3/8 bolts that hold it in popped while tightening i stopped and thought i had overtightened them. Apparently they need to pop two or three times. Just felt weird to me. After seating the fusebox tightly the car fired right up and drove for 6 hours without a hiccup. The issue was the salt water corroded the wires under the driver side carpet. The aftermarket GPS tracker or whatever it was that was crudely spliced in and they cut 8 wires open when removing the sheath only two of which were broken in half the rest were green and corroded badly to the point they may have not even been connected anymore at the accidental cut. They never replaced the sheathing over the bundle of wires and the bare wires were just rubbing on metal and laying in salt water. The red and black wire goes to the TCM/ECM fuse on the BCM and was broken in half and smoking when i pulled the carpet up. After reseating the fuse box and before resheathing the bundle of wires i disconnected the red and black wire again at the splice to make sure that was the problem and it was what the original problem was. Power steering warning and no fuel guage reappeared along with no crank and no fuel pump. Im glad i got it figured out. Was a long road and i appreciate all of the suggestions. I hope someday if someone else has a similar no crank issue they find this thread and can make sense of my nonsense.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:33 PM

Glad you got it running, now stop driving it and figure out why you have gas in the oil before you wipe out the bearings!

Quick Reply: 07 HHR no crank sometimes