General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

08 HHR Head On Collision

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 AM

Wow. I'm so glad your family is going to be okay.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 AM

WOW I'm glad to hear that everyone is okay!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 AM

How did the people in the Astro van fair.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
Did the back doors still open?
No, they did not. They had to open them with those pneumatic jaws.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 08BlkSS
Glad to hear your family made it....but whats the story behind the crash other than the fact they hit head on? What lead up to the crash?
The driver of the van crossed completely into her lane. She rounded a hill and a curve and had just made it into the straight away and there he was. She had no time to react. He on the other hand could see around the curve and to the top of the hill from over a mile down the road. The state trooper charged the other drive with travelling left of center. As far as we know his entire family was ok too.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
How did the people in the Astro van fair.
I have a picture but do not feel comfortable posting it online since it is not my vehicle. The entire front was crushed like the HHR but the rest of the van looked fine except the entire body looked lifted off the frame. I would say the airbags plus 80's steel protected them while air bags and crumple zones protected my family. The state trooper actually said the HHR shot the van up into the air and backwards. I can tell you one thing. My new vehicle hunt has taken the iihs ratings heavily into account. Although I liked the HHR very much I think I might buy something a tad larger and a bit nicer used. Maybe a GMC Acadia or something. On a different note, I own a suburban too and the state trooper said if she had been driving that she would have plowed right through them and their family would have been much worse off. As bad as things were and although she got hurt I am actually thankful that she was not driving the suburban. I hate to see tradgedy even if it would have been their fault. It's not like the children in the back seat can help what vehicle they are in and who is driving.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Glad they made it out alive. That was a hard hit.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ween
I can tell you one thing. My new vehicle hunt has taken the iihs ratings heavily into account. Although I liked the HHR very much I think I might buy something a tad larger and a bit nicer used.
I wouldn't take the IIHS with much more than a grain of salt. According to their results, the driver and front passenger of that Astro should be dead. Go with a vehicle that YOU are comfortable with. Most cars designed and built within this decade are overbuilt with safety features and modern materials. The Acadia is a fine choice, but I'd say the HHR did pretty good for you here too.

Just one other thing, if you're still involved with litigation on this case or the other driver is still going through the criminal process, don't post anything else here or on other forums you don't want used against you later.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Wow! Thank goodness you guys are all right! I can't believe how far back the hood was crushed in. You guys were really lucky, that's a VERY severe crash at 55 MPH. Before I bought my HHR, I actually considered buying a PT Cruiser (I always liked them) but the Chevy HHR had WAY better crash test results (IIHS) and it had many more standard safety features. It's good to know we are all driving a safe car. Best of luck to you guys and hope everyone heals up ok :)
Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 AM

I am glad your family is mostly fine. My hope is that they heal quickly.

Quick Reply: 08 HHR Head On Collision