General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

12,000 mile owner's report

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 PM

12,000 mile owner's report

So I've had my 2009 HHR for a little over a year now (bought it new in December 2008) and I just clicked 12,000 miles on her. Despite a rocky beginning, the car has been very reliable and a joy to drive! I'm the type of guy who gets bored with my car pretty quickly and ends up trading it in every 3 or 4 years, but my little HHR just might be the "keeper" I've always been looking for.

About 2 months after I bought it, I had the "Check Engine" light come on after nearly stalling on the highway. The dealer replaced the "Mass Airflow Sensor" under warranty. Then in the Summer of 2009 I got the infamous steering column rattle. Chevy replaced the entire column for free, also under warranty.

Since then, no problems to report! I can feel the interior starting to "loosen up" a little bit, with a few rattles here and then, but that might have to do with the cold winter weather and rough roads here in Denver. I have to admit, I do treat my HHR like a baby, not wanting to upset her! I almost never floor it, I gently close my doors and hatch (and yes, I tell my fellow passengers to do the same!) and I try to avoid all the potholes and bumpy streets when I can.

Inside, everything still looks new, save for the light grey floor mats, which I will be replacing in the spring. Nothing in the cabin has fallen off or come loose, and the hard plastic on the door panels and dash, while not very comfortable or nice to touch, actually are very tough and durable and are showing no wear. The exterior paint seems to be holding up pretty well also.

Luckily, I haven't had any issues with my brakes or rotors yet. I only have 12,000 miles, and like I said I drive her pretty gently. But I have taken her up to the mountains in Colorado a few times and on a road trip to New Mexico. Thanks to this great Chevy HHR Forum, and all the valuable information you guys and gals give us on here, I learned to watch out for the ice/snow build up by the front doors, and to be careful when closing the hatch so I don't bend the "beauty bar" on the rear hatch. Thanks everybody!

Things I still really like about my HHR: I love the easy entry/exit (my passengers always tell me), the seats and driving position, very good stereo system, simple and clean looking controls and displays, and a quiet and comfortable ride. And of course the way it looks :) It's such a classic and retro design and I love it!

My complaints are still the hard plastic interior (but it's durable and holding up well, maybe that's the trade off?) and some of the rattles. Lately, during the very cold days when I first start to drive, I noticed the suspension is very stiff and makes clunking noises when driving over rough roads, but then it goes away after 5 minutes or so. I'll have to keep an eye (or ear) on that.

So that's my 12,000 mile review. Consumer Reports asks its readers in its annual car issue, "would you buy this car again?" I would definitely respond with a YES! I'm always looking forward to taking a drive in my HHR, and I hope it will continue to be a dependable and fun vehicle to own and drive!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 AM

It is nice to hear a good report once in a while!
People are more vocal when they are having problems, but they are the vocal minority, verses the silent (happy) majority.

I'm coming up on a year with mine as well; bought used, it has about 52000 now, 10K from me. I was t-boned 3 weeks after buying it, have had a couple minor items fixed, and still am very happy with the car!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 AM

Working on year 4 here, and I am still happy with my decision.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:23 AM

I am on my 2nd one and would still buy a 3rd without thinking twice.It lives up to my expectations........:twothumbs
Old 02-10-2010, 12:32 PM

I just racked up 13k miles with my 2009 in the first 10 months of ownership. Very happy to report it's still tight and rattle-free and has been utterly reliable so far. Other than a slight mis-cue during the turbo upgrade installation, the only service issue to date was a sticking driver's door lock knob which was taken care of with a quick TSB fix by the dealer. This car is so fun, economical and practical that I'm finding myself driving it much more than I had planned.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM

90,000 milers and happy!

I have just turned 90,000 miles and I could not be happier. Yes the rotors were replaced and a few other "minor issues" were taken care of with the warranty. I have been pleased with the quality of the car and the reliability. This car has been in the driveway for all of but one evening for those 90,000 miles and I cannot boast the same of any other car that I have owned! Of course, after saying that I hold my breath but so far, I am very pleased.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 AM

Same here. I turned over 7k miles last week. I have not had to have a single thing looked at under warranty so far. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.