General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Is the 2.2 a weak engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 01:52 PM

Is the 2.2 a weak engine?

Sorry, I am new to your site. I have been having a hard time finding answers, and I was hoping you could help.

My wife has a rather serious back problem, which makes it difficult for her to get in and out of most vehicles. We went to every single used car lot in town and she sat in every driver seat. The only car, out of the hundreds we tried, that was an easy fit for her was an HHR. It was a 2007 LS with the 2.2 engine. I didn't know the engine size at the time. I just found out. We love the car. On our first road trip, though, I discovered something that I didn't like at all. When the cruise control was set, and we were climbing up a steep pass on a freeway, the car would downshift to maintain speeds and the RPM gauge would jump all the way to between 6,000 and 7,000, and the engine would be screaming loud. I would need to drop to below standard highway speed to keep it from redlining when it downshifted on mountain highways. I hated it so much. Anyway, fast-forward to last week. We took our first road trip in 2 years. I had forgotten completely about the jump in RPM. We got stuck behind a slow truck going up a steep pass, and when it got out of the way, I hit the resume button for cruise control, and the car downshifted, and the RPM hit the 6-7 thousand range...and then the engine died. We finally got the car back home, after a nightmare of rental cars, tow trucks, expensive hotel rooms, etc. I got the call this morning from our mechanic. The engine is shot, and getting it replaced would cost more than buying another used HHR.

We absolutely loved that car, and when we buy a new one, we want another HHR, but the bigger question is if we get another 2.2, are we going to have the exact same problem? Did our car just have a weird issue, or have the rest of you also noticed the jump to redline when downshifting to maintain speed, up mountain highways? Is the 2.4 significantly better than the 2.2? How about the SS model?

We would really appreciate your input.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I put over 300,000 miles on my 2007 LS 2.2 and yes it would rev while in cruise control up steep grades, so I used to turn off the CC and use my foot to control the throttle.

I now own a 2011 2LT 2.4 and it still revs up in cruise control, so I’m just using my foot to operate the throttle pedal.

Depending on the mileage of your HHR perhaps a used engine from a pick a part yard. Make sure you get a 2007 or 2008 2.2 , the 2009 and up changed to VVT
Old 07-29-2021, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

I'm with Oldblue. I own an '06 with a 2.4 and when I hit the hills I turn off the CC.
What happens is that when the resume button was pushed the motor does everything it can to return to the previous speed.
I don't even use the resume feature on flat ground until I'm within 5 mph of orig speed.
This can and will over exert the engine. Remember it's a 2.2 not a 5.7.
With that said the Ecotechs are good little engines. But they are just that 'little'.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Not that little, my 2.4 has 151 HP and my 1988 pick up truck with the 305 had only 158 HP.

the fuel injected, twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder was F1 high tech stuff at one time!
Old 07-29-2021, 03:15 PM

You don't get that problem with the SS turbocharged version.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:26 PM
Administrator

But the SS doesn’t get the fuel mileage of a 2.2 , small consolation!
Old 07-29-2021, 03:31 PM

It's worth it, for me.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:50 PM
Administrator

I will agree, I just can’t get the purchase order approved by my CFO!
Sweetie loved Oldblue and now the BlackSwan!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
You don't get that problem with the SS turbocharged version.
So, you are saying the 2.2 and 2.4 will both redline when using CC up a mountain at highway speeds, but the 2.0 turbo does not have the same issue? I just want to double and triple verify. This will make a serious impact on the next vehicle we purchase. I owned a turbo RX subaru a long time ago, and while it was incredible on the city streets, it was gutless at freeway speeds. Again, I'm not trying to push buttons or flare tempers or anything. I legitimately want to know which HHR is the least likely to blow a head gasket or throw a rod when using CC at highway speeds when going over mountains.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:39 PM

Do you think it wouldn't downshift to maintain speed if the cruise was turned off? The cruise control is just trying to maintain the speed you set. Probably running the AC.

I don't use it on very steep grades. I have had get into the slow lane on some grades to let trucks pass me.

I am pretty sure you did not pay attention to the engine temp. It is just a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated engine driving a fairly large vehicle. Pretty close to the HP/weight ratio as a 1968 VW van.

I just don't know why you are blaming the cruise control. All it does is take control of the throttle to maintain the speed you set. The trans would downshift if you kept the pedal floored on a steep incline, just like any other car.

Quick Reply: Is the 2.2 a weak engine?