General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Is the 2.2 a weak engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 07:41 PM

The turbocharged SS makes much more power at lower RPMs, it doesn't have to red line. It really does have a nice torque curve.

Doesn't mean it won't get hot going up a steep incline in the desert during summer, it still could. You have to monitor the coolant temperature.

The vehicle has to be properly maintained. Change the coolant at least every 5 years. Change the oil and filter at regular intervals, the computer tells you how much life the oil has left, change it by the 20% level. Fix any oil leaks, a dirty engine doesn't cool as well as a clean one.

The car you purchased might not have been maintained properly.

Truth be told, I do usually have to disengage the cc when going up even a slight incline. Not for the reasons the others have given, but because most of the other cars in front of me can't maintain their speed. I would go up our grade in cruise control at 75, no problem, probably somewhere around 3,000 RPM, were it not for traffic. It's a 7% grade.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:09 AM

Have a 2.2 but really no hills around here.
When I drove to Michigan never once did it downshift up a steep grade on an interstate, but I was also going 80mph.
These engines are built to rev, keeping at redline for a long time probably isn't a good idea.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:24 PM

I've got plenty of slopes & curvy roads in my zone, but I always monitor my temp display and have never used the CC and only set my heater temp to max warm on the defrost setting. Only time I'll run the blower fan is for a quick de-misting of the windshield on frosty days or when in heavy stop and go traffic, and only for short bursts to help keep the engine temp below 91-C. Good maintenance, awareness & direct foot control of the throttle is best for any motors. Loading the vehicle up with people & luggage will definitely require careful monitoring on long grades in hot temp regions. The windows have always been my AC .

The motors be good for folks that don't rev the bag off 'em on a regular basis & can deliver fine reliability for many miles with good care.

I still wish the HHR had been a rear drive setup with a 3.8 Buick V6 in 'er though. That would be the cat's ass fer me.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Redass
I've got plenty of slopes & curvy roads in my zone, but I always monitor my temp display and have never used the CC and only set my heater temp to max warm on the defrost setting. Only time I'll run the blower fan is for a quick de-misting of the windshield on frosty days or when in heavy stop and go traffic, and only for short bursts to help keep the engine temp below 91-C. Good maintenance, awareness & direct foot control of the throttle is best for any motors. Loading the vehicle up with people & luggage will definitely require careful monitoring on long grades in hot temp regions. The windows have always been my AC .

The motors be good for folks that don't rev the bag off 'em on a regular basis & can deliver fine reliability for many miles with good care.

I still wish the HHR had been a rear drive setup with a 3.8 Buick V6 in 'er though. That would be the cat's ass fer me.
Do you know that the AC compressor runs in the Defrost mode, thus the cooling fan is running? I don't know why you think the heater might keep it cooler, there is hot water circulating in the core always. Or what effect the blower may have on anything besides comfort.

This is the 21st century, cars were different last century.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Do you know that the AC compressor runs in the Defrost mode, thus the cooling fan is running? I don't know why you think the heater might keep it cooler, there is hot water circulating in the core always. Or what effect the blower may have on anything besides comfort.

This is the 21st century, cars were different last century.
Ye failed to notice that I was referring to the use of the cruise control (CC) and not the AC unit. Yes, most vehicles these days have AC as standard equipment & yes, when one turns on the blower fan the AC kicks in. My deal is, I keep the temp control on the warmest setting and use the air flow to the cabin setting instead of the air recirculate mode. Me windows be open always & I adjust the openings of the windows to suit me comfort level. The heater core being just a small, extra radiator which can help keep engine temps within safe limits without putting extra loads on the motor and battery when used in this manner as compared to running the AC.

If I lived in a hot arid region, then I would be driving a Type 1 or type 2 air cooled Volkswagen. I miss me old VW's at times.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:24 AM

Turning the blower on only turns the AC on if you have already pushed the AC button; it is a safety feature to keep the AC from freezing. No blower, no AC. In other words: the AC won't run unless the blower is on, but the blower will run without the AC.
If you use recirc the AC compressor runs. The AC runs in defrost. Both with no indicator. I very rarely use recirc
I was talking about perceived engine cooling by running the heater. In the HHR the core is always hot, so any additional radiating is already in play. It is the AC forcing the cooling fan on.
Modern cars are designed to be driven with windows closed.
In the last century; the temp control adjusted the flow of hot water in the heater core and the AC had no automatic functions. So, turning the heat on high did have an engine cooling effect.
It seemed that you thought that running the defroster would help the CC. And most folks don't know that the AC runs in defrost and recirc.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:48 PM

Turning the blower on only turns the AC on if you have already pushed the AC button; it is a safety feature to keep the AC from freezing. No blower, no AC. In other words: the AC won't run unless the blower is on, but the blower will run without the AC.
If you use recirc the AC compressor runs. The AC runs in defrost. Both with no indicator. I very rarely use recirc
I was talking about perceived engine cooling by running the heater. In the HHR the core is always hot, so any additional radiating is already in play. It is the AC forcing the cooling fan on.
Modern cars are designed to be driven with windows closed.
In the last century; the temp control adjusted the flow of hot water in the heater core and the AC had no automatic functions. So, turning the heat on high did have an engine cooling effect.
It seemed that you thought that running the defroster would help the CC. And most folks don't know that the AC runs in defrost and recirc.
You be right about that. No disagreement on my end. I've not pushed the AC button on my HHR nor engaged the cruise control. I've never liked CC & always use my foot for throttle control. I also never use the recirc button. Yep, I be old school fer sure and appreciate your input. Sorry for any confusion. It sucks gettin' old at times.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:35 AM

I don't use {cruse control} on very steep grades. I have had get into the slow lane on some grades to let trucks pass me.
Same here. And I NEVER use the resume button. The system is too crude and will slam the the throttle wide open without regard for RPM, apparently. Would be nice to just unplug the resume button but it’s also the accel button, so…

To the OP - The 2.2 is not a weak engine. It’s a pretty good performer, especially the VVT’s. Except the timing chain system sucks and should have been redesigned long ago. Roller chains vibrate too much at high speed and the front guide is a fragile piece of crap. Frequent disaster is further ensured by unreliable chain tensioners. I speculate the high RPM condition broke the front guide (or cause further damage to an already cracked one.) The chain was thrown, and the valves crashed into the pistons, a total loss. (But be sure to determine what really happened before deciding what to do next.)

Yes, you would be better off with one one of the stronger motors in your HHR. The 2.4 and the 2.0 turbo suffers the exact same problem, but it’s a little worse with the 2.2 because it should shine at higher RPM, while the 2.4 and especially the 2.0 can make power at lower RPM.

Reliability for all Ecotecs with roller chains (which is almost all) would benefit with the RPM limit set lower. I understand the the GenIII 2.5L’s have FINALLY gone to inverted-tooth chains which will be much less prone to beating the crap out of the guides and themselves (and will be quieter, too.)

The whole point of overhead cams is to allow higher revving, and GM cleverly managed to obviate that benefit with an unreliable chain system.

I still love my HHR’s. I just take care to keep the RPM’s down.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:02 AM
Administrator

The front guide failure almost always is because the top bolt unscrewed or broke, the replacement bolt has pretty much resolved that problem

see post #13
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...s-60394/page2/
Old 08-02-2021, 11:47 AM

2.2 over revving on climbs

Imo if you revved to those rpms with or without a load for extended time to maintain speed limit on steep climbs with or without cruise control then
operator error and or lack of maintenance would be my analysis to your engine failure.
I've driven up I80 from Auburn to Truckee CA a climb of 1000 ft elevation consistently every ten miles from 1600ft to 7400ft several times with 2.2 manual 5 speed without cruise control and my right foot buried to the floor in 5th and down to 4th gear and the revs would be less than 4000.
6000-7000 I think it's no bueno something will give and it did.

Quick Reply: Is the 2.2 a weak engine?