General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Is the 2.4 worth the extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 PM

Is the 2.4 worth the extra money?

I'm looking at used HHRs. Is the extra 26 HP worth the cost? So far I've only test drove a 2.2, and it seemed a little sluggish to me, but I'm used to driving a lightweight Kia with a manual tranny, so it at least feels like it has a little pep.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

yes to 2.4

You won't be sorry unless you get something else.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Haven't driven the 2.2, but the 2.4 does well enough. I always knew I wanted the 2LT, for the engine but also all the other options as well. If the options aren't a concern for you, then I guess it all depends on how much power you "need". Again, I've never driven the 2.2, but I've never felt the 2.4 lacked power in any "normal" driving situations. I can get on and pass whoever I need to on the highway, and I can make it up to the mountains to snowboard (steep grades) with no problems. I don't tow anything, but obviously if you did, you wouldn't be considering the 2.2 (I assume). I guess in the end, I wouldn't want to save some money up front, then wish I had more power. No offense to the 2.2 guys, but when I read threads in the 2.2 section about increasing power, I Most times it seems it would've been cheaper to just get the 2.4...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was just telling my wife. I plan on keeping this car for a while, so an extra $1000 or so for the 2LT package seems worth it to me. It works out to like $19 a month or so over 5 years. Well worth it.

Originally Posted by spirited driver
Haven't driven the 2.2, but the 2.4 does well enough. I always knew I wanted the 2LT, for the engine but also all the other options as well. If the options aren't a concern for you, then I guess it all depends on how much power you "need". Again, I've never driven the 2.2, but I've never felt the 2.4 lacked power in any "normal" driving situations. I can get on and pass whoever I need to on the highway, and I can make it up to the mountains to snowboard (steep grades) with no problems. I don't tow anything, but obviously if you did, you wouldn't be considering the 2.2 (I assume). I guess in the end, I wouldn't want to save some money up front, then wish I had more power. No offense to the 2.2 guys, but when I read threads in the 2.2 section about increasing power, I Most times it seems it would've been cheaper to just get the 2.4...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 PM

probably but the 2.0T sure is.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by squierjosh
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was just telling my wife. I plan on keeping this car for a while, so an extra $1000 or so for the 2LT package seems worth it to me. It works out to like $19 a month or so over 5 years. Well worth it.
Hell, if that's all it is, there's NO reason not too. The only thing I would mention, although it's not a real big deal to me because the gas mileage is good in the 2.4, is that it requires premium fuel. I don't mind, but a reality you should consider.

Originally Posted by Sandmanse7en
Hey, no need to rub it in If it were a small price difference between the 2.4 and the SS, I wouldn't be in this thread, I'd be trollin around the 2.0 subforum
Old 03-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Does it actually require premium, or is it just "recommended?"

Hell, if that's all it is, there's NO reason not too. The only thing I would mention, although it's not a real big deal to me because the gas mileage is good in the 2.4, is that it requires premium fuel. I don't mind, but a reality you should consider.

Hey, no need to rub it in If it were a small price difference between the 2.4 and the SS, I wouldn't be in this thread, I'd be trollin around the 2.0 subforum
Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sandmanse7en
So true,
Do yourself a favor, Go test drive an SS with the 2.0 turbo . After you do, you may realize it's the right choice, Leave the dealer and start searching for a used SS,(most SS owners keep them super clean) You might find what you want with low milage, for about the same nut as a new 2LT. What ever you end up with, It'll be an HHR.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by squierjosh
Does it actually require premium, or is it just "recommended?"
Technically recommended, but if we're talking performance and/or power figures, then I say required. There are a handful of threads on this topic, but in the end, it's okay, the computer just modifies the timing accordingly. However, many people claim that their MPG go up with the use of premium. I can't say, I've only ever run premium and I average 27-28mpg city.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/premium-gas-2-4-engine-12641/
Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 PM

If I could average 27-28 in the city, I'm sure the extra few cents per gallon would pay for itself. So the 2.2 gets this mileage without paying for premium gas. I was wondering how they got the same mileage.

Technically recommended, but if we're talking performance and/or power figures, then I say required. There are a handful of threads on this topic, but in the end, it's okay, the computer just modifies the timing accordingly. However, many people claim that their MPG go up with the use of premium. I can't say, I've only ever run premium and I average 27-28mpg city.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12641

Quick Reply: Is the 2.4 worth the extra money?